Chicago Chef Knife Show

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheflivengood

Reaction score
This is in its infancy, and all the details are still being discussed, but i want all of you to be aware that Myself, Todd Begg and Damasteel are putting together a Kitchen Knife show in Chicago at the end of August that will feature many high profile kitchen knife makers and potentially a couple of vendors you are familiar with. Keep that time period in mind and I will update this thread as soon as we know more information. :hungry::knife:

Damasteel Chef Invitational 2018 is in the works for Sunday August 26th, time TBD (most likely 12pm).

The Makers:
Mareko Maumasi, Maumasi Fire Arts
Tom McLean, Sharp and Shiny Shop
Salem Straub, Promethean Knives
Greg Cimms, Greg Cimms Knives
Tony LeSeur, LeSeur knives
Joe Schrum, Halcyon Forge
Mert Tansu, Tansu Knives
Rick Petko, RPD&Co
Don Nguyen, Don Nguyen Knives

The Vendors:
Abe Shaw, Eating Tools NY
Town Cutler Chicago
Kevin Pellegrino, AKA Kasumi Kev

More Details as they develop! Follow all these guys on instagram to see their work in progress!

Didn't know Tom McClean was an actual knife maker... interesting haven't followed his wood work in a long while.

Didn't know Tom McClean was an actual knife maker... interesting haven't followed his wood work in a long while.

He is still part time, but he is making moves. His current chef knife line is in collaboration with another smith (it's a quiet partnership).

Damasteel Chef Invitational 2018 is in the works for Sunday August 26th, time TBD (most likely 12pm).

The Makers:
Mareko Maumasi, Maumasi Fire Arts
Tom McLean, Sharp and Shiny Shop
Salem Straub, Promethean Knives
Greg Cimms, Greg Cimms Knives
Tony LeSeur, LeSeur knives
Joe Schrum, Halcyon Forge
Mert Tansu, Tansu Knives
Rick Petko, RPD&Co
Don Nguyen, Don Nguyen Knives

The Vendors:
Abe Shaw, Eating Tools NY
Town Cutler Chicago
Kevin Pellegrino, AKA Kasumi Kev

More Details as they develop! Follow all these guys on instagram to see their work in progress!

Wooooo! The earlier the better, I'll have to work:razz:! And if anyone is bored at night they can swing by the restaurant for cheap drinks and food!

Pretty darn cool list... Will there actually be knives for sale? :)

That's the hope! Some of the guys have mid tech like lines they hope to bring, some hope to use damasteel to make knives to sell at the show. If any of the makers are short on product I can have town cutler and eating tools bring more knives for peoples interest. Since this is the first year Id like it to be more of a meeting of the minds between chefs/collectors and the knife craftsman. I'll have food and drinks for practically free, maybe $5 at the door, Im working on sponsors that I know for a nice selection. Still plenty of time to get organized!

That's the hope! Some of the guys have mid tech like lines they hope to bring, some hope to use damasteel to make knives to sell at the show. If any of the makers are short on product I can have town cutler and eating tools bring more knives for peoples interest. Since this is the first year Id like it to be more of a meeting of the minds between chefs/collectors and the knife craftsman. I'll have food and drinks for practically free, maybe $5 at the door, Im working on sponsors that I know for a nice selection. Still plenty of time to get organized!

I was being a bit facetious as a lot of those makers rarely have available knives for sale it seems. Sounds like a really fun time in store for everybody with good knives, food, and drink! It would be really neat to meet some cool folks though I'm personally debating going to Blade Show or upgrading my equipment to a 2x72 grinder... If only money wasn't a consideration for me... :(

wow, this sounds really cool. I have been waiting for a kitchen knife show to come about. Even if its just a small exclusive thing at this point, really interested to see where this goes!

BTW milkbaby, i wish i had extra money id send you a 2x72, it would be awesome to see what you would come up with!

I'm personally debating going to Blade Show or upgrading my equipment to a 2x72 grinder... If only money wasn't a consideration for me... :(

Blade is a lot of fun, but extremely overwhelming. Lots of people to see and talk to, that are also seeing and talking to others.

Where are you located? While it isn't ideal, it's possible that you can find someone near you, that you could barter, pay, or work for time on their machine. Just a thought.:doublethumbsup:

wow, this sounds really cool. I have been waiting for a kitchen knife show to come about. Even if its just a small exclusive thing at this point, really interested to see where this goes!

BTW milkbaby, i wish i had extra money id send you a 2x72, it would be awesome to see what you would come up with!

Haha! I'm flattered, Tim! I'm pretty sure that I'm skipping Blade and will probably get a Grizzly 2x72 after I move to a new house. I'm not 100% decided yet, I might just spring for a nicer 2x72 but am unsure of where I'm putting my grinder in the new place.

One of these days though, I hope to meet you and hold one of your knives in person!

Blade is a lot of fun, but extremely overwhelming. Lots of people to see and talk to, that are also seeing and talking to others.

Where are you located? While it isn't ideal, it's possible that you can find someone near you, that you could barter, pay, or work for time on their machine. Just a thought.:doublethumbsup:

Thanks for the advice Mareko! I'm such a geek that I'm sure I would have a blast at Blade. Plus I just like to meet people and love to learn from them. I feel like there's something to learn from everybody I meet.

I'm 90 minutes north of Orlando. The Doghouse forge guys are within driving distance. I'm 90% leaning towards a Grizzly 2x72 right now as it will probably be a huge upgrade from 1x30. I'm sort of considering an Esteem 2x72 depending on my workshop situation after moving into a new house in the fall. I probably will have to forego variable speed due to lack of 220V.

Still, Chicago sounds like a fun time... I totally admire you and the other makers going to the show and it would be cool to examine y'all's work in person!

Thanks for the advice Mareko! I'm such a geek that I'm sure I would have a blast at Blade. Plus I just like to meet people and love to learn from them. I feel like there's something to learn from everybody I meet.

I'm 90 minutes north of Orlando. The Doghouse forge guys are within driving distance. I'm 90% leaning towards a Grizzly 2x72 right now as it will probably be a huge upgrade from 1x30. I'm sort of considering an Esteem 2x72 depending on my workshop situation after moving into a new house in the fall. I probably will have to forego variable speed due to lack of 220V.

Still, Chicago sounds like a fun time... I totally admire you and the other makers going to the show and it would be cool to examine y'all's work in person!

The Doghouse guys are great! I really like them a lot. I know it would be a bit of an investment up front, but Pheer brand grinders are awesome, especially for the price he's offering them at. I really like the machines a lot. I wish I had a 6 of them in my shop. Also, he offers them in both 110v as well as 220v variable speed. It all comes down to how the variable speed drive is wired. The motor is 3 phase and can be wired to run off either 110 or 220.

Another reason to consider it, is that machines of the same or similar quality are easily 2x-3x the price he's asking. It's also a way more reliable machine that'll easily last 20+ years.

I am Looking forward to going to this Event!!!!!

Here are some update photos for the event this summer, Knives by Don Nguyen and Tony LaSeur.
Social Media teaser Chef Invitational 2018.jpg
eP6086669.jpgfullsizeoutput_1e5.jpg
IMG_3864.jpgIMG_3865.jpg
IMG_3871.jpg

Back