Quantcast
A little Pork Butt for Sunday football! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A little Pork Butt for Sunday football!

Quote Originally Posted by Fornia View Post
    I'm just outside....right near Weaver's bike shop.
    Oh man that is almost close enough to smell it.

Hey if you ever want to come over give me a call. Don't feel obligated to bring pork.

Well....here's the results, pre-sandwich form.

Really tasty....and I don't miss any of the injections we've been doing for competitions. Last attempt was to brine the butts, but given the timeline in contests, it isn't very much time for those big cuts (imo).

This is just simple, easy, and good! Cook time ended up being about 9.5 hrs.

Now for the evening.... My very favorite cook on our Egg! I can get them with crispy skin, just like a deep fried wing. These are rubbed with Tasty Licks Orig. BBQ Rub. Good stuff!

Psychedelic Smoke BBQ.....coming to a competition near you.

Looks great, butt when are you going to work up your own rub?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Looks great, butt when are you going to work up your own rub?
    I normally do....but I had one bag of this rub to use up. Figured I'd make it easy and use it on the butts and wings.

But I personally think they are so many great rubs being produced, that its a moot point to a degree.

Here are the wings right before taking them in to be devoured.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

These can't be wings - I know wings, they are dried out, thin, tough, meatless, half-burnt pieces of 'chicken'... Man, now I am hungry again.

Stefan

That pulled pork looks great!

I'm with you on the getting back to the basics of BBQ mentality. I've been doing serious backyard Q for the last 3 years now. I've been through all the injections and crazy rubs and for my taste, I just like to keep it simple. Brisket gets salt and pepper while ribs and butts get covered in one or two different mail order rubs I use. I also prefer my BBQ dry, with no sauce.

My buddy started working at Famous Dave's a while back and it really got him into BBQ. He keeps trying to get me to enter BBQ contests with him, but it just doesn't sound like fun. He's talking about developing rubs, sauces, injections and brines. That sounds like a whole lotta effort just to create some BBQ that I don't really like.

Sorry for the rant! Food looks great.

Smoked pork butt freezes really well, too. Just had some for lunch. Wrap it up well in meal-sized portions and then reheat it at very low power in the microwave. Might not be as good as is was fresh off the grill, but BBQ pork butt in mid-winter is mighty fine.

What temp and for how long on the wings? Never did any on my egg but I can change that this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    What temp and for how long on the wings? Never did any on my egg but I can change that this weekend.
    I do about 375-400, indirect on the Egg. Normally I let them go 1.25-1.5 hrs.....but again, we like the skin crispy and the meat pretty easily pulls from the bone.

You can certainly do less time. As I'm sure you know, the Egg helps maintain moisture in whats being cooked, so they seem never dry out.

+ Reply to Thread