2018 Knife Bucket List

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here I am at the end of 2017...overspent on knives as usual, but looking forward to another year of fresh steel ahead. I’m already thinking about new blades to chase and ones I want to try. So what’s on your knife list to try or own next year? I’d love to try a Mert Tansu, Billip, and Dalman for starters. How about you?

I have and love my Dalman, I am waiting on a Tansu and Marko, and just cant wait for my new toys

Not sure about maker, but hoping to acquire:
330mm yanagiba
150mm honesuki
135-150mm deba

Here I am at the end of 2017...overspent on knives as usual,
Totally get it!

but looking forward to another year of fresh steel ahead.
Totally get it!

On the wait list for a custom with Robert Trimarchi (The Nine). If finances are kind, Mert Tansu and Bryan Raquin are two makers whose knives I'd love to try. Might as well add a Mareko Maumasi to the bucket list should anyone be willing to part with theirs <hint, hint> - his wait list is way too long at my age.

Edit: add a Takamura Suminagashi (or two) as well. It is a bucket list after all!

Mert Tansu 240 gyuto blue #2 honyaki. It will take a while but I will wait for it patiently.

A comet gyuto from his thicker stock 52100
Halcyon Forge gyuto
Xerxes custom gyuto
Ikeda/Kasahara san mai gyuto
Ikeda/kasahara Honyaki gyuto
My place in the Bloodroot list
Shiraki Mt Fuji gyuto
I'd really like a ashi Honyaki but I think that's wishful thinking
Kato std 240
Kochi

-Working with Kippington on 2nd gyuto and suji
-maybe Toyama or mazaki suji
-ginga petty
-misono or masahiro or some other mono carbon honesuki
-if finances are under control ittetsu honyaki &#129412;
-blazen gyuto
-new knife roll
-zero interest in mert stuff
-maybe another 9 custom

Planned acquisitions:
- I expect 2 Yoshikazu Ikeda knives in early 2018 (stay tuned, some really cool stuff)
- I plan to get either an Ai-Deba in 180 or mioroshi deba in 195. I am sick of my 165 single bevel cheap & bend funyuki, even if it has a handle made by me ...
- probably no custom knives, though I would not say no to a honyaki from Robin :)
- I may get Itinomonn StainLess in 240 (I had 210 and miss it)
- Maybe a 300 fuguhiki if my friends manages to locate one for me. I had one in hand and it was just incredible - thin, light, flexible. I would use it as a raw meat slicer.

But I will also be selling knives (and some stones):
- Munetoshi 240 (not 100% sure yet, it is a special knife)
- Custom 155 bunka from Blenheimforge
- Yoshikane SKD 165 Hakata
- Hopefully som that I make myself :p

Yeah, as far as stones go I think I’m happy with mid grit and low grit stuff on hand. I do want to play around with more synthetic polishers and finishers.

Ikeda Honyaki Blue 2
Shiraki Honyaki white 1
Togodashi Honyaki Blue 1
All 240's extra tall, extra thin.

Its more to round out the collection a little. Honyaki's in the major carbon steels. Couple AS blades, and a Few PM blades. I really dont know ATM what excuse i can make up in my mind for more knives.

Probably a massive Jnat that can handle some PM steel and is a decent polisher if i can figure out which can do it.

Anything new... I have a Takhashi honayki coming from Inotada..seems fun. Hopefully something fun comes along, stuffs been pretty stagnant lately I feel

Oh, man.. all gyutos

Masamoto KS
CJA
Kato WH
Takamura Uchigumo
Shigefusa Kiteaji
Yoshikane Suminagashi
Shiraki honyaki
Konosuke Damascus Fujiyama
Mizuno honyaki
Zwilling Kramer 52100
Wusthof 200th

I need jnats in my life too..

Most makers TBD;
-180 deba or longer mioroshi
-240 laser mid-range gyuto
-Rob Herder parer

If anyone wants to let go of any knives listed above PM me!!!

Definitely:
Watanabe 120 mm petty and 120 mm ajikiri
Shapton Pro 1000
Kitayama

Maybe:
Itinomonn Stainless 240
Munetoshi Butcher
Inexpensive honesuki
JNS red/blue aoto

Man, did I overspend on knives this past summer and fall, so it will be a while before anything new. Maybe a honesuki, not sure of the brand yet.

Most of the funds next year will probably go towards getting into natural stones, which I know nothing about (yet). I have a feeling it's gonna cost me....

Man. I seriously cannot think of one knife for this list. Maybe a cleaver but I can't think of one specifically.

Sometime between now and the end of March I'll be getting an Xerxes as well as several Ikeda-Kasahara gyutos/nakiris. No complaints as I've picked up some real stunners in the past year.

Getting on Mert's list. Want to pick up a few from Doi-Kasahara. If Robin ever makes Nakiri's I'd love one of those.

Bryan Raquin, Prendergast if funds allow. Heck, add Tristone Blades if we're dreaming.

Masahira Kato Tamahagane Honyaki Gyuto
Hiromoto Honyaki Suji
Halcyon Forge Nashiji K-tip Santoku

Inzite no TF on that list! What's going on ;) or do you simply have them all by now

Wow so far 6 Ikeda Honyakis on order. word got out fast.

Izinite .. ask TF to make you a honyaki. he had to do it to get his sword making licence, he should be able to make one for a VIP customer. plus ill buy it off of you if you dont like it.

A comet gyuto from his thicker stock 52100
Halcyon Forge gyuto
Xerxes custom gyuto
Ikeda/Kasahara san mai gyuto
My place in the Bloodroot list
Shiraki Mt Fuji gyuto
I'd really like a ashi Honyaki but I think that's wishful thinking
Kato std 240
Kochi

**** our lists are too similar

A thick Comet gyuto 230 (check and coming first thing January)
A san mai Comet if that becomes a thing.
Another Halcyon gyuto, this time a 260-270mm version
A gyuto from The.9
Ikeda/Kasahara san mai gyuto in aogami 1
Tamahagane honyaki suji
Kato nakiri and suji
Shig 240 kasumi
Ashi honyaki gyuto [emoji23]

I was telling myself the same thing. The 2 of mine are just a part of a larger order I did with my friends - and each of them already have one :)

each of them that already have Ikeda's .... do they have any alloy banding? This is something i have been crazy worried and hopefull about.

Back