Quantcast
It's time for a KKF-authorized Recommended List
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time for a KKF-authorized Recommended List

It's time for a KKF-authorized Recommended List

I've read a few posts here and there on this site and I have a couple of observations:

1. There is a wealth of experience and knowledge found in the readers and posters here.
    2. There are a number of individuals who will research, compare and purchase knives regardless of price.
    3. The hype and reputation of any/all knives are scrutinized fairly (for the most part).
    4. There is ample assistance provided to newcomers asking for help when considering/purchasing kitchen knives (often for the first time).

So I'm going to put this suggestion to Dave Martell and the heavy hitters here:

Why not come up with a "Recommended List" and classify the most favored or preferred knives based on quality and categorized by type (e.g. Gyuto, Yanagiba, Cleaver, etc)?

I'm hoping that this list would somewhat resemble Stereophile's "Recommended Components" list, where categories of products (Amps, CD Players, etc) would have varying classes (Class A, Class B, etc.) based on quality.

Price does not always reflect quality on the Stereophile list (ha!), because you could have a $20000 amplifier in Class A along with a superior $3000 amp - the list is based on opinions of quality. Very seldom, but it does happen..

My hope for this list is that it will provide an informal buying guide *based on the experience and knowledge of this forum* AND it will distinguish KKF as an excellent source for all buying considerations regardless of a reader's experience.

Would this require work and cooperation? Absolutely.

Has this been done on any knife-enthusiast forum? I don't know, but why not start now?

Please, no flames. This is just a helpful suggestion for this forum. I respect and follow the opinions and knowledge that the posters here contribute. I just think that an organized list will assist many people (and reduce a lot of posts like "What do you guys think of THIS knife?")
    Last edited by mindbender; 11-06-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Grammar.... Grammar...
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said: "I drank what?"

I like the idea, but a fair bit of "what's good/great" is very subjective. As a general rule, any knives mentioned here in a positive light are the best in the world.
    Personally, I like big handles and shorter blades than the majority here, yet I'm sure everyone would agree the knives I love cut like mofos...it's tough to say what is worthy and what isn't. Just sayin'.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Why not just make a thread with set categories about which knife members feel is best? The most popular would be pretty obvious this way anyway surely not? I like your thinking I must say, if you're new to J-knives it can feel like a maze of information

Because it's different for every person, use and budget. I almost named the "What knife should you buy?" thread "The best knife you can buy" thread. Many are looking for the "best" and the best is what is most suited to the person and situation.

Maybe a sub-forum for reviews?
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

I was on the stereophile forums for years and it is a hotbed of manufacturers and dealers pushing their products. There was continuous arguing and bitching about what product was best. When i used my thirty years of audio electronics manufacturing experience to discredit certain things i got PM's from John Atkinson geting upset that I was out of line. Anyone into audio knows its all snake oil and BS, paying $10,000 for a peice of cable !!! the only guy who is even close to that here is kramer, would he automaticaly be the best knife ?

The nice thing about this forum is there is no judgemental process, by introducing any form of rankings you automatically will hurt someones feelings and create tension.

It might be clear to 99 % of people that a Shige is better than a Mac but who decides when a pro chef might have been using his MAC's for 30 years ? it is always subjective.

I vote against strictly on the basis of not causing the debates

Alan

+1 on the sub-forum for reviews; an extensive review would offer more information than just listing suggestions, and heck, I just like reading knife reviews

I like the idea for a sub-forum for reviews. List a certain knife, then let everyone who's used one add their 2 cents. It would just need to be managed to make sure there were no double posts for the same knife, and it would allow for easier research.

I personally don't think a forum is the best format for managing reviews. I mean seriously the search function doesn't work worth sh!t, so how is anyone going to really sort through old posts and find useful or up-to-date reviews?

I do think this is a good idea, but I think the best place for this is on a commercial site where the software is set up for reviews and possibly affiliate advertising, so everything is directed into the right place. Do we really want a situation where we all put in a lot of effort reviewing stones or knives or what have you and then people read it and go to another seller on eBay or vendor and buy it there just because it is $9 less?

I really think there should be a true commercial site such as a stone and knife review so we don't have to worry about forum shills (reference the earlier thread) and other vendor issues. Dave has the cred and instead of inserting commerce into the forum can get members to contribute for videos, pictures, reviews, blog posts whatever and focus it on another site that can bring in advertising, affiliate revenue and have a better architecture for managing user input.

Forum software is just not great for this purpose, but don't get me wrong, I think this idea is very worthwile, but it needs a better CMS to do it well. My 2 cents.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I personally don't think a forum is the best format for managing reviews. I mean seriously the search function doesn't work worth sh!t, so how is anyone going to really sort through old posts and find useful or up-to-date reviews?

I do think this is a good idea, but I think the best place for this is on a commercial site where the software is set up for reviews and possibly affiliate advertising, so everything is directed into the right place. Do we really want a situation where we all put in a lot of effort reviewing stones or knives or what have you and then people read it and go to another seller on eBay or vendor and buy it there just because it is $9 less?

I really think there should be a true commercial site such as a stone and knife review so we don't have to worry about forum shills (reference the earlier thread) and other vendor issues. Dave has the cred and instead of inserting commerce into the forum can get members to contribute for videos, pictures, reviews, blog posts whatever and focus it on another site that can bring in advertising, affiliate revenue and have a better architecture for managing user input.

Forum software is just not great for this purpose, but don't get me wrong, I think this idea is very worthwile, but it needs a better CMS to do it well. My 2 cents.

k.
    I thought the idea was for everyone to post their thoughts about knife x in the thread for knife x. Also, I don't think most people are posting reviews so a certain vendor gets more sales. I think most people do it to help other people make better decisions.
    The search function does suck though.