D. Martell Martell Knives Website

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I just opened a new website to sell my knives, show my previous work, etc. I'm not finished with it by a long shot but I'm wondering if some of you would take a minute, check it out, and let me know what you think regarding function? I'd love to hear from desktop and mobile users alike.

Thanks!
Dave

https://martellknives.com/

It seems ok, firstly I couldn't easily find any info on how to order and pricing on the website, that's bad, the gallery should also be much larger and organizer based on type of knife, I'd probably add an about you section and something to add providence to the blades being purchased, if I am spending 800 bucks on a knife, I want to know why its worth 800 bucks, similar to what dalman did, as for gallery I would copy HHH or Butch Harner, you want to draw people in and get them salivating, instill some sort of an emotional connection, especially given how pretty your blades are once finished. Also for the Gallery I would probably post some special pieces up first(you have done some super sexy damascus pieces, that would draw me in and it may lead to damascus orders, which equates to more money for you), maybe link to the KKF gallery page so people can see more images. I think that would be a good start and than you can build from there, basically more pictures and a better how to order/contact us page, maybe do each blade type and 2-3 images of finished pieces that way less experienced people can see what they are buying.

Like!

BTW, using Dolphin browser on Android, no issues that I noticed.

Nice modern look! I'm using safari browser on iPhone and find it easy to navigate so far (I usually hate mobile versions of websites and would rather scroll and zoom around). As you've already acknowledged that there is still mich to be added I won't comment in that regard yet, but it's off to a good start.

One final thing I'll suggest is to consider which website your Instagram page lists (currently it is japaneseknifesharpening), even if you don't use your Instagram people will come across your page, I know I have tagged it in some of my posts.

So it looks like it's working...that's something. LOL :D

I hate doing this crap but it has to get done. Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Dave

The home page looks very good... sort of expensive looking! Lots to be done still so I'll hold off till done.
My :2cents:...
The home page doesn't scroll through the available four photos - at least not on a desktop PC. Would be nice if they did. And... all the photos are at the handle end of the knives. We know Dave does very beautiful handles but it might be nice to see at least one full blade as well. Just a thought.

Edit: I was wrong about the scrolling. It does! Just more slowly than I'm used to - which is kind of nice. BTW, the 3rd photo is a stunner!

Looked at on my tablet, it looks good so far. I agree with Marek that the front/home page should have at least one scrolling pic that shows an entire knife, not just all handle close ups.

I personally do not like websites that have a front landing page that tells me basically nothing. I like how there is a shop now button leading to your current for sale inventory, but I would also like it if below that there was a strip of linked photos on the front that maybe showed two or three of most recent knives where you could click on each photo and go directly to its individual sale page.

Ok. I've been playing around on the site a bit. Like the idea of a message me button BUT

1. In my cell phone it's positioned so that it covers the shopping cart. I can't get the the cart to click it.

2. The messaging function will only run through facebook?

I'm running google chrome on an android

More feedback. I put that sweet Nakiri in the cart but don't see a checkout button. Have a feeling it may be cutoff at the bottom?

Also may want to think about getting an Instagram page going and linked to the site. The knife community on Instagram is huge and very supportive.

Improving Dave!

Similar thoughts to TheCaptain's... I'm on PC and the Message Us button covers the Search & Cart icons unless you scroll down. I would like to see an alternative to Messenger as I'm not a Facebook user. Email's not dead yet, is it?
The Gallery had a couple of photos unaligned but that's since been fixed.

Now get back to making knives! :wink:

Ok. I've been playing around on the site a bit. Like the idea of a message me button BUT

1. In my cell phone it's positioned so that it covers the shopping cart. I can't get the the cart to click it.

2. The messaging function will only run through facebook?

I'm running google chrome on an android

1. Ha - I had moved the message me button from in front of the shopping cart seen on my desktop. So now I'll move it again. :D

2. I believe, although not 100% sure that this is the case.

More feedback. I put that sweet Nakiri in the cart but don't see a checkout button. Have a feeling it may be cutoff at the bottom?

Also may want to think about getting an Instagram page going and linked to the site. The knife community on Instagram is huge and very supportive.

I hope that the Message Us button was the problem with the checkout. I'd love to know if that's Ok or not. Thanks for the help here!

On Instagram, I have no smart phone which is problem #1. Then I have no idea how to link these things together. I have an Instagram button (on the right) that takes you to my Instagram account but without being able to post pictures there I don't see it as much value at the moment. Anything you can add to this will be appreciated. :)

Improving Dave!

Similar thoughts to TheCaptain's... I'm on PC and the Message Us button covers the Search & Cart icons unless you scroll down. I would like to see an alternative to Messenger as I'm not a Facebook user. Email's not dead yet, is it?
The Gallery had a couple of photos unaligned but that's since been fixed.

Now get back to making knives! :wink:

I moved the Message Us button, I hope this helps.

I hear you on the Messenger going through Facebook, sort of lame. I do have contact us page though.

Thanks for the input!

Someone needs to help a brother out and send Dave a smartphone... unless he doesn't trust this new tangled kids tech... in which case... 😈👿

I just killed the Messenger... LOL :D

Yeah the more I sit here thinking about it the more I don't care for how it works...plus it's always in the way.

First sale from the website? Congrats!

Looks great now. Would like to see something filled in on the "about" section though. I know a lot of people aren't into selling themselves, but the reality is selling yourself is a big deal when it comes to this kind of web commerce. Anything to get that hook into somebody who just stumbles upon your site to turn them from window shopper to a knife buyer. That's sort of the cool thing about social media stuff like Instagram or Facebook, people like and can save posts, get sent or tagged by others, can go back and review the stuff they liked.

First sale from the website? Congrats!

Looks great now. Would like to see something filled in on the "about" section though. I know a lot of people aren't into selling themselves, but the reality is selling yourself is a big deal when it comes to this kind of web commerce. Anything to get that hook into somebody who just stumbles upon your site to turn them from window shopper to a knife buyer. That's sort of the cool thing about social media stuff like Instagram or Facebook, people like and can save posts, get sent or tagged by others, can go back and review the stuff they liked.

Yeah that's definitely something I've got to do soon, one of my least favorite things, but I'll get it done.

Thanks for reminding me!

And yes, first sale from the website :thumbsup:

Dave, Couldn't you buy a used phone not have it activated with a phone Co and just use your home wifi?

Yes, you need to sell yourself, see Murray Carter if you need an example;).

Or something like this:biggrin::[video=youtube;rfAvQp-Uk5I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfAvQp-Uk5I[/video]

"Hello, my name is Dave. I sharpen kitchen knives, make kitchen knives, enjoy moonlight walks on the beach in the rain, and I simply adore Rachel Ray."

I'll hope to see the Captain's review on your site once it's in hand.

Back