Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fountain pens- any fans on KKF?

I'll check these things out too, I pretty much hate every pen at my home desk anyway.

I've got about 2 dozen vintage fountain pens, mostly Parker Duofolds & Lucky Curves from the twenties and thirties, along with a few Wahl Eversharps & a couple of other odds and ends of similar vintage. I was going to upload a photo, but it doesn't look like I can upload directly from my computer... pity, they really are quite pretty to look at!

The only modern pen I have is a Pelikan. I had one of the older style Black Namiki Vanishing Points that I really loved, but I managed to lose it somehow. Replaced it with a new style limited edition Mandarin Yellow Vanishing Point, but don't like the new style nearly as much & ended up selling in on eBray for a nice profit!

James

Fountain pens & knives seem to attract many of the same collectors for some reason. Maybe it's the penknife connection.

Well, let's see if I can link to where I posted the photo on another site ...

Cool! It worked!

James

Here is my meager collection.

Cross -which was a wedding present from my bride.

Esterbrook - marked " Bell System Property"

Hero 616's and Reform 1745's

Kaigelu #316 -

Parker 51 set

Parker 17
    Last edited by Jim; 04-13-2011 at 03:36 PM.

If I got a Lamy to try out would I need anything besides the pen and ink or would I need a cart converter to fill it with?

Thanks
    Jared

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    If I got a Lamy to try out would I need anything besides the pen and ink or would I need a cart converter to fill it with?

Thanks
    Jared
    The lower end pens do not come with a converter they are 5 bucks or so.

Are you looking for a pen to just give it a try? Todd at ISELLPENS.com has several that are less expensive and better writers than the Lamy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The lower end pens do not come with a converter they are 5 bucks or so.

Are you looking for a pen to just give it a try? Todd at ISELLPENS.com has several that are less expensive and better writers than the Lamy.
    Now you tell me. Oh, well, I've had my Lamy for a couple of weeks, and like it well enough. Almost used up the cartridge that came with it, so I'll be switching to a converter and Noodler's.

Ya I want to give it a try, I always wanted a really nice writing pen so FP might be the way to get me there. I want to try it on a very entry level model though in case I can't handle it. I'll check out that site, or if you want you can just tell me which way to go on that.

Thanks

As someone else mentioned, a good pen to try if you just want to get your feet wet is the Pilot Varsity. It's a disposable fountain pen and is actually a pretty decent writer. It's only a buck or two & I've seen them at Border's Books.

Here's a link to a site which is pretty much the mecca for fountain pens in the US - if you want a good overview of what's available on the market today:

www.fountainpenhospital.com/

James