Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fountain pens- any fans on KKF?

Man this forum makes me crazy.. I love fountain pens. Don't own many (really only own cheap stuff) but I love fountain pens. Love 'cross' pens/pencils too.

I realized a while ago that I am a collector, I can never just have one.

Pens
    Coins
    Shoes
    Sunglasses
    Hats
    Knives
    Golf Stuff
    Computers/Electronics
    Razors

you name it and I've probably tried to collect it at some point.
    I always need the new stuff but can't get myself to sell the old stuff.

I have laptops from 1992 (IBM Thinkpad 700) that I power on every once and a while. Nothing like having a 128mb hard drive that only works in ms-dos.

All this collecting sure is expensive!

Thought i would resurrect this thread... just been getting into fountain pens myself... ended up with quite a few...
    • TWSBI Eco (Stub)
    • TWSBI Vac700r (Stub)
    • Lamy Studio (Medium Nib)
    • Pilot Vanishing Point (F and Stub)
    • S.T. Dupont Montparnasse Chairman in Black Lacquer and Gold Trim (Medium Nib)
    • Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black (Medium Nib)
    • Pilot Custom 912 (FA Nib)
    • and a Sailor King of Pen (Medium Nib) on the way

Anyways, anyone else getting into this yet? If so, what are you using nowadays?

-Jon

I was really into fountain pens about 5 years ago. Bought a bunch. Sold some, kept the most. The only one I'm still using is a big hunkin' Sailor King of Pen - I love that pen. Perhaps I should list the rest for sale?

And then I have those two big boxes of ink bottles. Should really use or let go to new owner before everything dries up...

But the nice pen I actually a ball point pen - Sailor Professional Gear in Chrome. That gets used daily, and I've exhausted four or five refill cartridges on that already.
    The church is near but the road is icy. The pub is far but I will walk carefully.

I love fountain pens. Got into them a couple of years ago, probably about a year before getting into knives. Excellent for those who either love or want to improve their handwriting.

I learnt my lesson about taking nice pens out and about with me after losing my Franklin Christoph cursive italic (gold nib) last year. Now I only carry around either a Pilot Metropolitan or Lamy Safari.

I also own a few vintage vintage pens including a Waterman 52 with flex nib and a couple of Conway Stewarts.

One of the great things about using fountain pens is the world of colourful inks that opens up to you. The Fountain Pen Network (forum) has some great threads on ink reviews and comparisons.

A few inks I particularly like: Bung Box Sapphire, J Herbin Rouge Hematite and KWZI Old Gold.

This thread made me realize I should sell some stuff. After sorting through the boxes, I have some 30+ bottles of ink and six pens that will probably be offered for sale. Once I figure out if I'm able to pack bottles securely enough and if I think I can get enough money for the stuff to make the packing effort worthwhile... At least it made me re-activate my account on FPN to ask for valuation help.
    The church is near but the road is icy. The pub is far but I will walk carefully.

I have a 1993 Mont Blanc Platinum Le Grand Meisterstück.

Barely ever use it. Too afraid of forgetting it somewhere, so it just stays home.
    Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    did someone say pens?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burke View Post
    did someone say pens?
    damn, if i had anything important to write, id want to use that

Although the Mont Blanc Oscar Wilde is the nicest fountain pen in my small collection, the Montegrappa-Panerai special edition ballpoint is my favorite writing instrument

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3228102&type=3

Although I have lost a couple of pens by accident (one at the bank window when I was doing some transactions) I find that pens, like knives, are meant to be used. A cheap preppy or any other equivalent are good for carrying in your pocket if you don't want to worry about losses. A small 2 or 3 pen case is great for keeping your pens from disappearing. It makes you keep track of them similar to a notepad or a book. I will never carry a pen around my neck. My level of nerd is not on that level.

"Into a country where the jails are full, and the mad houses closed." - Charles Bukowski