Quantcast
Staff Meals!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staff Meals!

Staff Meals!

How many of your restaurants provide staff meals? Off-menu at a discount, or just a separate dish/stew for everyone to share?

Sponsors
    every place i've ever worked (cooking at least) had free staff meal

There's a thread somewhere here on the joys (thankless job) of making the family meal. I hope you can find it.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

last place i worked had staff food. 1 hotel pan of whatever i made per day. if you didn't get there in time, you went hungry. it was a great way to manage product and keep employees happy. the only unhappy person was me because making it was stress i didn't need in an already hectic day. on top of that, there is no way to make something that everyone will enjoy and not complain about that isn't named pizza, cheeseburgers or chicken wings
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    last place i worked had staff food. 1 hotel pan of whatever i made per day. if you didn't get there in time, you went hungry. it was a great way to manage product and keep employees happy. the only unhappy person was me because making it was stress i didn't need in an already hectic day. on top of that, there is no way to make something that everyone will enjoy and not complain about that isn't named pizza, cheeseburgers or chicken wings
    I second the 'pizza, cheeseburgers or wings' part

Every other place I have worked would let the cooks cook for themselves and the waitstaff order stuff at a discount. Which is stupid. The cooks eat way too much, and the waitstaff all order food when the kitchen has better things to be doing. The place I am at now does staff meal, we never have pizza, burgers or wings though.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Where I am currently, the chef orders us a protein if we get with him in advance on the day we are designated to cook staff meal. He'll even slip in a few requests in his purveyor orders. We build our staff meal around whatever becomes provided, and it feeds both front and back of house.

At all the places I have worked at, staff meals are a given. Either you are given a fixed amount of $$ each day for food that gets credited into your pay, or we cook a meal of veg + meat + carbs, using ingredients that have been agreed upon and factored into the food cost. I find that it is a great way for the younger, more inexperienced cooks to show what they have. Also it is a chance for the head chef to evaluate the younger guys, especially in a Chinese kitchen where you won't get to touch the wok otherwise.

What kind of stuff do you guys see for staff meal? curious

Jesus, I have no idea how I missed the other thread about the same thing...sorry guys!

+ Reply to Thread