Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: are brussel sprouts played out?

i'm braising root veggies in duck fat, then frying in brown butter to go with roasted chicken. fat = flavor

Quote Originally Posted by Paraffin View Post
    Steamed works well too. I haven't tried it, but they would probably be good cooked sous vide with some butter in the bag. Then a quick hit with the blowtorch for a little browning.
    Sous vide for cooking Brussels sprouts would be an overkill. Anyway I started to develop a hate thing for the sous vide. Nothing that comes out of it tastes good.

Quote Originally Posted by krx927 View Post
    Sous vide for cooking Brussels sprouts would be an overkill. Anyway I started to develop a hate thing for the sous vide. Nothing that comes out of it tastes good.
    Really? I just started dabbling with it (Joule). Lobster tail is terrific. Carrots with a pan glaze are great. I made a pulled pork shoulder in a 21 hr cook and oven finish for bark (cheating with liquid smoke) that came out much better than crock pot. On the other hand, steak sous vide with a pan sear and blowtorch finish isn't a success so far. I like it, but my wife doesn't like the "red to the edge" look when it's cut, vs. the gradient you get with a grill or pan sear cook.

I get what you're saying if you mean only sous vide, since most of those examples involve a pan or oven finish of some kind.

Tried the Momofuko sprout recipe, subbed honey for the sugar in the dressing. That was quite possibly one of the best sprout dishes I've ever had. Going to use that vinaigrette in other things now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Tried the Momofuko sprout recipe, subbed honey for the sugar in the dressing. That was quite possibly one of the best sprout dishes I've ever had. Going to use that vinaigrette in other things now too.
    This seals the deal. I'm heading to the farmers market this weekend for supplies.
    "Into a country where the jails are full, and the mad houses closed." - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Paraffin View Post
    Really? I just started dabbling with it (Joule). Lobster tail is terrific. Carrots with a pan glaze are great. I made a pulled pork shoulder in a 21 hr cook and oven finish for bark (cheating with liquid smoke) that came out much better than crock pot. On the other hand, steak sous vide with a pan sear and blowtorch finish isn't a success so far. I like it, but my wife doesn't like the "red to the edge" look when it's cut, vs. the gradient you get with a grill or pan sear cook.

I get what you're saying if you mean only sous vide, since most of those examples involve a pan or oven finish of some kind.
    I must say that my experience is not that big but every single time I used it I was not happy with the taste. I started with steaks and alike. I tried cooking times between 1-3 hours. Of course I seared them well (in a pan). I am with your wife on the "red to the edge". I am missing slightly bigger grilled part. But this is not the main issue, the main issue is that the stake is not tasting like the grilled one is. The taste and to some extent the texture of the "cooked" part is not right. And it gets worst the longer you cook it.
    This experience is similar also with sous vide staked I was eating in restaurants.

Last weekend I tried octopus. I was really looking forward as everybody is saying that it is phenomenal cooked sous vide. So tender that it melts in your mouth... I was really tempted as I know that properly prepared octopus is to die for.
    So I tried it: 5 h on 77C
    After cooking I put it on top of the potato and veggies that was baking in the over. 10 mins and I got nice sear.
    Again I did not like it. Again the main problem was the texture but specially the taste. It just tasted wrong. I couldn't even finish the plate.

So from now on it will take a lot to convince me that something can taste better from sous vide compared to normal cooking. I am still hoping tho.

I usually cut them up super fine, then blanche them a little, say a min or so. Then fry some bacon lardons and onion in a pan, add the sprouts. Pour some honey in, add a bit of cider and a little butter. Let it reduce until it turns to a glaze and the whole thing is sort of sticky and that's it, super nice

The main issue I find with them is .....flatulence. Therefore only ever eat them at weekends

"There are 2 mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way and not starting"