are brussel sprouts played out?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
tuna tartare, Kale, etc.

i love brussels. there was a time it was on every tapas menu. now i dont see it much anymore. i was at a TV superstore and i heard Bobby Flay say that Brussel Sprouts are so last year (<paraphrasing here) it was some cooking competitions show..some of that quality TV that made me quit cable. ;)

i made them for Christmas dinner, because they are a no brainer. hot oven anyways. save that heat and pop in a tray of brussels.. pull them when the edges just start to char, and they are fork tender. put them in a bowl, sprinking with parm cheese. no veggie is easier..not even a salad. hehe.

i'll eat them forever. tuna tartare..not so much :)

I think the fancy bacon maple roasted Brussels on every menu in the USA is totally played out. I mean it's delicious but making it a feature on your menu is definitely been there done that.

Love me some roasted bs...a nice balsamic glaze to finish...yes to bacon.

Hated them when my grandma boiled them way back when. Love them in the oven, agreed. I usually toss them in salt, pepper, Chili flakes, olive oil and a dash of balsamic vinaigrette....

Hated them when my grandma boiled them way back when..

hahah..

aint that the truth!! i once cooked eggplant for my mom and proclaimed, "and that is how you cook eggplant!"
my mom made this gray mess that was unswallowable. i dont know how many times i got in trouble resisting that horrid dish. i damn near almost missed Christmas on year.

+1
Hated them when I was a kid. But they were boiled to death back then. Now even my kids love them.

I do wonder if they are less bitter nowadays though, bitterness being reduced through breeding?
Sometimes miss that bitterness.

When I was a kid the only way to cook veggies was to boil them into submission. Not kidding, never had roasted veggies even once.

What a revelation when I did roast some! Yummy little baby cabbage morsels. NEC
Vet old.

Heres another way to do them :Fish sauce vinaigrette. That goes good on everything, jesus.

We roast them and combine them ofen with fruits because Brussel sprouts need lot of sugar.
You can halve them, blanch them in water with a lot of green color, lot of salt, lot of sugar, put it in ice water.
Then roast them in olive oil, bacon and do a sweet glaze with chicken stock, honey and Soy sauce. Matches well with passion fruit, pastis and sweet potato for exemple. We used to serve this with turkey for Thanks giving in a 2 Michelin-stars restaurant with Bobby Bräuer.

Heres another way to do them :Fish sauce vinaigrette. That goes good on everything, jesus.

blanch in salt/sugar water, ice bath, air dry, roast half way with bacon fat and julienned shallots, toss with sweet chili sauce, and broil. mix in some crispy guanciale, garnish with orange zest and fried garlic chips
use romesco aioli as dip

Recipe for the less creative?

David Chang from Momofuku did a spin off of this recipe with his brussel sprouts. It got ordered so much that he took it off his menu because thats the only thing people cared about. I made it on thanksgiving, and it is divine.
https://food52.com/recipes/19682-momofuku-s-roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-fish-sauce-vinaigrette
The water, vinegar, and sugar are absolutely crucial as it enhances/dilutes the intenseness of the briny goodness.

David Chang from Momofuku did a spin off of this recipe with his brussel sprouts. It got ordered so much that he took it off his menu because thats the only thing people cared about. I made it on thanksgiving, and it is divine.
https://food52.com/recipes/19682-momofuku-s-roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-fish-sauce-vinaigrette
The water, vinegar, and sugar are absolutely crucial as it enhances/dilutes the intenseness of the briny goodness.

THANKS!! i have and like fish sauce as a flavoring..it add the sea, without much fuss.

making a dipping sauce and goingfull octane, not so much.

My favorite way to prepare brussel sprouts is: not at all. because they're vile infernal creations. Like a wannabe cross between a pigmy broccoli and midget cabbage.

Pro tip of the day.

Hey, they're not that bad. And the vile, infernal creation slot for vegetables is already taken, by okra.

Not with Nueske's bacon and pearl onions they're not.

I like to shred them raw and make a quick slaw. Maybe with parmesan, slivered almonds, olive oil, lime, and maybe some dried cranberries to brighten it up. A little honey if you like it sweeter.

Thanks for this thread going to cook some Brussel Sprouts. I like Okra too and Bitter Melon. Pork and Bitter Melon yeh baby:D

Regarding okra... my Mom and Dad were raised to cook USA Southern style, where okra is a thing, and all vegetables are cooked to be mushy. When I was a kid, my Dad would cook okra in a pan with tomatoes, and the slime was ever-present.

I can barely tolerate okra when battered and fried, which removes the slime. But then why bother? At that point, and because the skins are so thin, any actual taste from the vegetable is gone. It could be anything under that deep-fried coat. Maybe there is an okra recipe out there that I'd like... something with liquid nitrogen foam or radiation to kill the slime.

I like to deep fry raw, quartered brussels until golden brown, light and crispy. They then will absorb a myriad of sauces. The usually dense and crunchy brussel is totally different light and crispy.

HYulAMV.jpg

RCp4xbe.jpg

There has certainly been a Brussels sprout renaissance for at least the last decade and a half. They were cooked into greenish-grayish submission when I was a kid.

I love them.

Here's a batch I made last month for a supper party. Brussels sprouts caramelized, mixed with Vietnamese Nuoc Cham, Hunan salted chilis, charred scallions, fresh mine and cilantro.

Back