Need professional to fix some knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipnfry

Reaction score
Hey there,

After diving headfirst into Japanese knives i've managed to damage a few very nice knives over the years. I've studied sharpening and want to pursue repairing these myself but i think i need someone with some serious expertise and several stones to handle this properly. If anyone could suggest a skilled sharpener i'd be grateful. 3 knives, 210 gyuto, 240 usuba, 240 suji. I will post pictures if anyone is interested thanks!

post pics, always help. Also, where are you? Japanese Knives Imports is very good in the US.

Yep, we need some photos and your location. In UK Greg from Wabocho can be recommended.

He's from Philly...please do post pics. Dave Martell is fairly close to you btw.

x2 on Dave Martell -- he's somewhere in the countryside a bit west of Philadelphia.

Jon Broida at Japanese Knife Imports in CA is another good bet.

And maybe Korin in NYC.

x2 on Dave Martell -- he's somewhere in the countryside a bit west of Philadelphia.

Jon Broida at Japanese Knife Imports in CA is another good bet.

And maybe Korin in NYC.

I’m curious, any specific reason for the maybe qualifier on korin? I don’t see them recommended here that often and they’re about two miles away from my house.

I’ve seen their videos, they look pretty good to me.

Just idle curiosity...

Rick

Chris at make it sharper out of Augusta GA does great work. He gets all my knives.

Makeitsharper At Gmail

I’m curious, any specific reason for the maybe qualifier on korin? I don’t see them recommended here that often and they’re about two miles away from my house.

I’ve seen their videos, they look pretty good to me.

Just idle curiosity...

Rick
Only reason for 'maybe' is I have not read about people having them repair knives. But they have a capable sharpener, and most of the good ones seem very able to perform typical repairs.

Jon Broida at Japanese Knife Imports is a standup guy and does excellent work can recommend without any reservations whatsoever.

Only reason for 'maybe' is I have not read about people having them repair knives. But they have a capable sharpener, and most of the good ones seem very able to perform typical repairs.

I had a Shig Kasumi loaner with a broken and slightly rusty tip some time ago, Korin did a great job fixing it and putting a killer edge on it.... I think it cost me $17....

Did you find that one stood out from the others? Sounds like i am local to Dave so i was curious about driving out to meet him. Was preparing to send them all to Jon this week. Thanks

I would feel good about any of them doing a very good job but if you're close enough to drive to Dave maybe you could line up some lessons...that way in the future you'd probably have the confidence and skillset to do the work yourself.

Back