Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not walnut?

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I have a walnut handle on a knife. I've tried polishing it up a bit and it is okay. There is also a fibrous, bristly texture to it I can't seem to smooth out completely.
    If it's the one I made for the heiji I was not happy with the finish either.I don't think tru oil will work on stabilized walnut very well,and I have a couple of beautiful blocks that I have not used yet just for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    If it's the one I made for the heiji I was not happy with the finish either.I don't think tru oil will work on stabilized walnut very well,and I have a couple of beautiful blocks that I have not used yet just for that reason.
    Yup. That's the one. I tweaked the profile on the edge side of that knife. I think it was a little too curved in one spot. Now, it's more gentle. I'll have to post a pic sometime once I get the secondary bevels looking really pretty again, either by blending, like you did or re-establishing the kasumi-type finish.

Walnut burl is quite nice and is probably the most useful for handles, where you need a dense figure in a small area. I have made sayas out of walnut burl and the stuff is great (and very dense too you barely see any pores). However, for kitchen knives handles, you want it stabilized and that is when you might have to put up with some dullness.

Walnut is a fantastic wood, one of my favorites. I have my desk made out of walnut as well as some other office furniture. There are more application for walnut than cutting boards.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Walnut is a fantastic wood, one of my favorites. I have my desk made out of walnut as well as some other office furniture. There are more application for walnut than cutting boards.

M

That is so true (despite my earlier comment). My dining room table is made out of black walnut and I love it.

k.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	2315  
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Black walnut is gorgeous! My mom's old house had a 100+ year old Black Walnut tree and I almost begged her to let me cut it down. I wonder how many thousands of dollars that thing was worth. In retrospect, I'm glad it's still serving as a house for countless squirrels and chipmunks. It was a damn nice tree!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Black walnut is gorgeous! My mom's old house had a 100+ year old Black Walnut tree and I almost begged her to let me cut it down. I wonder how many thousands of dollars that thing was worth. In retrospect, I'm glad it's still serving as a house for countless squirrels and chipmunks. It was a damn nice tree!
    Cutting down, getting to mill, resaw, kiln dry, etc - you need to do this first. Then you will get tons of great walnut boards.

@Drinky - love your table.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

True enough, Marko. Lots of work, but it would be worth it in the end.
    K, that table is legendary.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

It just dulled so easy.

I love walnut, It makes a KILLER looking tables, or heck, whatever!! I have seen some of the finest pieces of furniture and boxes and cabinets etc..etc.

That said, I have had the same issues with it as a knife handle. Natural or stabilized its a bugger to get that highly finished, figure popping looks we love so much.. So I often steer away from it, Unless its something extra special!! Like flaming crotch figure or WILD figured burl. Just takes alot of time and work to really get it looking awesome! But its worth it!! IMO.

Cool thread

I just finished a knife with a walnut burl handle It was "stabilized". This piece sucked up the true oil like a sponge. But after 4 soaks in true oil and 3 more applications of tung oil. and 2 coats of hard wax. It shines OK.. lol Guess its just one of them woods you have to work a little extra to get it to POP!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives