Bombogenesis

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
So it's my first winter in New England and I'm living on a sailboat. I'm iced in (saltwater) by about 4" and expecting a blizzard with ~75 mph winds tomorrow. Mast is still up but boom is down...1 bowline, 2 stern lines and 2 spring lines...3 fenders. Likely set another couple spring lines to other side (starboard) in the am along with adding a couple more fenders.

Aside from the proverbial bend over and kiss your ass goodbye, any helpful ideas?

abandon ship... jokes aside welcome to new england, fun place we live in..

Thanks, bailing out is a definite possibility but I'm hoping to be able to ride out the storm. Hate to lose my boat in my first nor'easter. Thinking it may be scarier in a hotel not knowing what's happening...

Not a big movie fan though I like RR...don't care too much for the title..

Hello from Boston. I was only worried about loosing heat and electricity. Good luck.

Quick, to the post office. No sense in getting salt water on those carbons you favor. Still have my addy?

I got a spare room. You're welcome anytime.

Thanks man, but think I'm going to try to ride it out here. BTW, found some of those super hot chiles I was talking about and as long as the boat stays afloat I'll drop some off very soon.

Fine, thanks! Spent most of the afternoon in my car...I'm gonna have to get a bigger boat for this ****. I'll use the excuse that my dog wouldn't get on the boat during the worst of it but I was pretty comfortable there myself. Had 2 fender lines snap and my neighbor was kind enough to fetch them from the drink...and loan me an extra.

Still very windy here and we got more snow than was called for...back on the boat chilling now and just hoping we don't lose power.

c95d0c3d08be548fa46aaea262e9db66--geneva-switzerland-winter-storm.jpg

Yikes! That much ice would sink my little boat.

Jim, I hope you are safe.

Thank you Matus! Yes, I wound up getting a nice nights sleep once the wind changed directions...took me from being tossed about to a nice steady rocking. I visited a neighbor's boat which is much larger than mine and the difference was amazing. Once I become a bit more proficient at sailing I'll wind up in a bigger boat...for now it would be a bit much for me to handle.

I had no idea you’re living on a boat now, much less in the Northeast.... in WINTER!!! I always thought you lived in NC.... but maybe I’m confusing you with someone else lok

I moved to New England for 2 reasons...the heat in NC sucked the life out of me in the summer and I enjoy winter sports. Once here I realized I could live on a sailboat which blew my mind. Maybe not the smartest way to spend my first winter here but figure go big or go home:) Wasn't expecting a record breaking cold winter or my plans may have been different.

How does one go about living on a boat? I mean how does that thst work with your job, etc.? This must sound like a super dumb question, but it comes from someone who grew up in the Central Europe and never spent on a boat more than a few hours (though enjoying it)

I moved to New England for 2 reasons...the heat in NC sucked the life out of me in the summer and I enjoy winter sports. Once here I realized I could live on a sailboat which blew my mind. Maybe not the smartest way to spend my first winter here but figure go big or go home:) Wasn't expecting a record breaking cold winter or my plans may have been different.

Man, that sounds awesome! While I enjoyed the Outer Banks, I LOVE New England. Lived in CT for 4 years. That’s probably the least “New Englandish” of all states, but still.

Matus, that's a good question as I'm still figuring that out myself;) My boat is docked in a marina and inside I have access to toilet/hot showers/laundry as well as parking for my car. On the boat I have a small galley for cooking (sink, gas burner, mini-oven, tea kettle and Nespresso machine. Boat has a gray water tank for head/sink that you have pumped out when full. I also have some indoor storage...it's very much about being a minimalist which is something I'm still working on learning. That said, you do figure out rather quickly what your priorities are when you have such limited space. So far I really like it. Come spring I will have a truly "mobile" home:doublethumbsup:

Should add that I have a pharmacy, 2 grocery stores, numerous restaurants and a park that are all a short walk away. And most importantly I have my morning coffee on the water with a view across Casco Bay to the skyline of Portland. The community is small but very friendly.

Man, that sounds awesome! While I enjoyed the Outer Banks, I LOVE New England. Lived in CT for 4 years. That’s probably the least “New Englandish” of all states, but still.

Connecticut is beautiful but when traveling South I don't consider it to be New England. When traveling North I consider it to be pure New England. As to the outer banks that was very much a treasure of NC.

Over the last 10 yrs or so I've considered moving to Maine for the inexpensive property mostly. In that same time I've come to hate winter more and more so I'm sort of not looking at Maine too much anymore. BTW, I'm a Masshole and proud of it! :D

Over the last 10 yrs or so I've considered moving to Maine for the inexpensive property mostly. In that same time I've come to hate winter more and more so I'm sort of not looking at Maine too much anymore. BTW, I'm a Masshole and proud of it! :D

Massholes represent !

Back