Type of wood for jnat base

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does it matter? Dave's tutorial said he uses cypress, others use cedar, teak.. does the type of wood matter much if the wood not lacquered?

If you're not going to lacquer it I'd go with Teak. There's a reason we use it for decks on yachts. It doesn't rot or warp with repeated wetting and drying.

If you're not going to lacquer it I'd go with Teak. There's a reason we use it for decks on yachts. It doesn't rot or warp with repeated wetting and drying.

And showers. I stayed in a rural home in Spain with a wet bath made entirely of teak and it was awesome! Warms up so much faster than tile too but I don't think that is a concern with stones...I just happen to like teak.

...cypress, others use cedar, teak..

I think all of those species have some degree of known/natural water-tolerance...

Western Red Cedar is one of the world's most durable woods, as it has a natural resistance to moisture, decay and insect damage
The FPL defines old-growth bald cypress and old-growth redwood as resistant or very resistant [to rot/moisture damage], for example, while second-growth lumber from those species is defined as only moderately resistant

but keep in mind the the specific species/subspecies of wood plays a role as well.

more here

https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/977/

I've seen guys make them out of plexiglass too. looks kind of neat when you frost parts of it and leave other parts clear.

Here's what I did with the suita I bought from valgard. I glued it to a piece of 8mm thick aluminium with MS Polymer marine caulk. The stone will never come loose (trust me on this. You have to use a hammer and stone chisel to remove it) and you don't have to worry about water. Glue 4 small anti-skid feet to the bottom and you have a perfect base.

GKldQST.jpg

Here's what I did with the suita I bought from valgard. I glued it to a piece of 8mm thick aluminium with MS Polymer marine caulk. The stone will never come loose (trust me on this. You have to use a hammer and stone chisel to remove it) and you don't have to worry about water. Glue 4 small anti-skid feet to the bottom and you have a perfect base.

Cool info on the install. I saw a japanese hw store recommend the blank (10mm, <$20) atoma plates for this.
Never knew how the install would be done, but a gap-filling WP caulk answers that :)

The suita is a bit irregular on the bottom so I applied a thick layer of caulk and pressed the stone down until I saw the caulk squeezing out at the sides. You then know all the spaces are filled with caulk.

Back