Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Konosuke HD?

Disclaimer: I have a Heiji that I'm considering selling, but...

I'll put in another vote for the Heiji. The only reason I might want to sell mine is that I want a 270 and mine is 240. I might just keep it, though, because I really love it. I haven't tried a Konosuke HD, but from what I hear, they are similar to other lasers in geometry. My Heiji way outperforms the one laser I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    Disclaimer: I have a Heiji that I'm considering selling, but...
    Damn heirkb, selling your Shige, now maybe a Heiji? What gems are you keeping if this is what you are selling?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Damn heirkb, selling your Shige, now maybe a Heiji? What gems are you keeping if this is what you are selling?
    Haha, it'd be really hard to sell the Heiji. If I do, it would only be to immediately get a 270 Heiji.

Remember Mario's sale a while back? Heiji gyuto, Shig gyuto, and Shig double beveled Usuba. That's what I thought when I saw him putting those knives up for sale.

Wow!
    Thanks for all the quick and helpful responses.
    I have never posted on any forums before so was not sure what to expect.

A few of you have asked me to post more detailed info.
    I did touch on most of the points I felt important in my original post but have now used the "What Knife Should I buy template" below.
    I feel underqualified to answer some of the questions. It may be a bit like asking grandma if she wants more front wing on her F1 car...

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
    240mm Gyuto
    Japanese handle
    Semi Stainless or Stainless Clad
    Hopefully I will see a performance increase vs VG10 but without the "issues" of Carbon steel with reactivity etc?

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
    1st Japanese knife. I imagine it will become my go-to knife in preference to my Shun and MCusta 210mm Gyutos

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    Aesthetics- Like the handle shape - dont like riveted Western Style Handles
    Edge Quality/Retention- OK given home use
    Ease of Use- OK
    Comfort- OK

What grip do you use? Varies but I imagine with a longer blade a pinch grip will be more viable, and give more control

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
    Depends what I am cutting. Slicing and chopping.

Where do you store them?
    I have a MagBlok wooden magnetic rack in Walnut.

Have you ever oiled a handle?
    Have not needed to thus far

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
    Epicurean with rubber corners. Like the fact that these dont move around, without being too heavy, and are also dishwasher safe.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
    I have a WEPS sharpener with chosera stones down to 3000 and then strops with diamond paste down to 3.5 microns.

Have they ever been sharpened?
    Semi-regularly. I admit to probably waiting too long sometimes.

What is your budget?
    $500

What do you cook and how often?
    Variety of foods. My wife and I share the cooking - personally around 2-3 days per week

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
    Would like a "non-standard" Japanese style handle. Probably cant afford any of the burl handles, but like some of the ebony/buffalo horn options - Tosho has white "inlays" which look kind of cool. I have relatively small hands andfind the Shun D shaped handles OK to use.

From my reading I think a "Laser" knife would suit me. I dont need a "mighty" knife and would like the knife to be light and manoueverable. If it is really sharp then it should be able to cut anything I need to with minimal effort/force so heft should not be required.

Thanks again to all of you who replied. If there is any specific info I have not provided let me know.
    At this stage, the Konosuke HD is still looking like a pretty good start point....

Cheers
    Andrew

Suisin Inox honyaki is worth looking at also.

Quote Originally Posted by agonczol View Post
    From my reading I think a "Laser" knife would suit me.
    Cheers
    Andrew
    I don't own a Kono HD, but you can't go wrong with that knife. There are several other lasers, both carbon and SS, that are excellent as well. They all seem to be semi-clones of each other. The HD is the cream of the crop IMHO for cost, steel, F&F and shape/geometry.

The HD is a great knife indeed. It does take some patina over time - VERY slowly - I have no idea what you'd have to do with it to get it to outright rust (and I have no intention of finding out). But, if you really have $500 to spend and would be willing to wait a bit, I'm sure there are some customs/mid-techs that would be just as good and have that exclusive feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by TamanegiKin View Post
    Suisin Inox honyaki is worth looking at also.
    Yes, although I'd choose a Gesshin-Ashi instead.

yea, the suisin inox is quite pricey - gesshin-ashi is cheaper, right?

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    He doesn't want carbon steel.

Konosuke HD is a fine choice. I very much enjoy using mine although I find my handle (the ebony upgrade) is a little smaller than I'd prefer (It isn't tiny.) Nevertheless, I would consider Yoshikane or Heiji (http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-wa-gyuto.html). These are both semi-stainless steel clad in stainless. I have both and prefer the Heiji by a fair stretch but they are both great knives. The style is a more "rustic" than the KonHD but still well finished, esp the Heiji.
    Oh sorry, But ya i have the Kono HD its a great knife i use it everyday. I do wish i would have went with the black handle but other than that i love it.