Question about Toyama 240mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capslockpirate

Reaction score
Hey all - Over the holidays I purchased a toyama 240mm gyuto (this one: http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/toyama-noborikoi-kasumi-gyuto-240mm/ )

After using it for a bit, I noticed its profile (forgive my ignorance if I'm using this term incorrectly) is different from my other j knives.

In the photos below you can see starting from the heel it's fairly flat, and then towards the tip it has a curve to it, but in between the flat part and the curve it comes to a sort of peak (shown in the second photo.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dC4bWAuEAqpg8ClV2

My question here is is this normal/intentional for this knife? if so what is the purpose of this high point (or I guess low point?) in the blade.

There's no actual question to be found in your post...fyi

last sentence in the post, sorry it's after the photo link.

My question here is is this normal/intentional for this knife? if so what is the purpose of this high point (or I guess low point?) in the blade.

said another way, I want to know if it is normal, why is it not a smoother transition between the flat part and curved parts of the blade, and if it is not normal what do I do about it?

thanks

I can't see what you are describing. Maybe a picture of the profile against a straight edge would help.

I'd sharpen it "out" flatter. I would guess a smoother curve would be more comfortable.

I see what you mean and it does look a little strange. I would certainly check the blade from different angles and if this hump is real, than I would first correct it on the stone and than sharpen & thin around its position as necessary. It looks still pretty minor, so it should not be a lot of work.

I can't see what you are describing. Maybe a picture of the profile against a straight edge would help.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=VVYtMFdjV3pxalk3WDFvWUx3cVN3T21JRzB2VWZn

I think the question is more self evident when you look at the photo--
there is a huge amount of backbelly on the knife.

If it doesn't work in use I would say its a flaw,
whether or not it is intended to be there...:(

(Personally, that's not a place i would
be looking for a pertrubance in a profile)

I checked my Toyama. Mine is a 210. The profile looks similar though slightly less pronounced. The flat spot on the blade is rather short - maybe 1.5". From there, it's a gentle curve towards the tip. If you lay the flat of the blade (rather than the "peak") against the table, you'll see this and the profile won't look so unusual. The "peak" has never bothered me in use. Never noticed it until now.

Back belly or heel belly does have its uses. If it bothers you, you could just sharpen that one spot in the 2nd photo where the profile touches the board and remove the metal in that area to flatten out the profile.

I would not consider this normal, except if it a result of bad thinning ;)

If I would receive a knife like that I would send it back rather than attempting a repair myself. Of course if I would notice it before use ;)

Just to circle back, I just spoke with Maksim from JNS - He said that this is normal for all toyama knives.

Different knife, but same general problem or issue to be confronted.

The knife has a proper flat “spot” and gently curves upward towards the tip. One thing that is hardly visible in the profile picture below is that the transition from the flat spot to the curved part is not smooth. If you rock the knife on the board from the tip to the heel, you’ll feel a bump where the transition is. The impacts cutting performance in a big way. At first I thought I’d get this out with a few sharpenings, but the problem appeared more difficult. In the end I needed professional help to resolve this problem

https://japaneseknifereviews.wordpress.com/2016/05/25/teruyasu-fujiwara-maboroshi-210-mm-gyuto/

That being said, if the knife works in practice...its a user and its fine.
The ultimate determinant of functional-quality is the end user.

Of course, if it drives you crazy...the same logic holds.

Good luck either way, OP

Just to circle back, I just spoke with Maksim from JNS - He said that this is normal for all toyama knives.

Yeah. Like the completely normal crack on the spine of the Kato workhorse he sold a friend or completely normal atoma scratches on completely fuqd mazaki he sold another friend.
Mate, that is not a normal Toyama.

ZnHApUt.jpg

I mean it’s not flat on a board but it doesn’t do that

Back