Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Magnets are used in a Magnetic Knife Rack?

What Magnets are used in a Magnetic Knife Rack?

I have some random mahogany as well as some lyptus and wanted to make a knife rack. Anyone know what shape/ size magnets are typically used?

OOPS: Magnetic

do a google search on rare earth magnets..

hv fun..

I have a bunch of 1/4" diameter Neodymium discs but I think they are too small.

arent they powerful enough to hold the knife you want? some of the magnetic racks they use 2 rows of magnets for each knife. .The wood cant be too thick though.

rgds
    D

Woodworker's supply has 3/8 and 1/2 inch.

magnets

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

For this:

I used 2 rows of 20 mm neodymium discs. In hindsight, smaller ones would have done the job as well.

Quote Originally Posted by evanjohnson View Post
    I have some random mahogany as well as some lyptus and wanted to make a knife rack. Anyone know what shape/ size magnets are typically used?

OOPS: Magnetic
    If you have a wooden strip with embedded magnets in mind, get rectangular magnets, 1/2x1/8x2" and assort them in a row. This way, you won't have any blind spots. You can also get 1/2x1/8x1" but would need more magnets.
    http://www.magnet4less.com/product_i...products_id=54

You might also want to consider using some Magnetic Field Shielding material to direct the pull into one direction - face of your block.

As long as magnets are relatively close tot he face (about 1/8) you will get strong pull.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

If you store your blades tip down they're less likely to slide off---the handle catches the edge of the rack.

@sean-dang fine tile. They just don't make them like they used to.

lol, thanks. The tiles are older than me acutally.