Which shapton for thinning?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m looking to get something to use for thinning...already have a king 300 and some 400 grit stuff. Which shaptons do you guys enjoy using for thinning? I’m looking for something faster than king 300. Shapton Pro or glass 220? 120? Likes and dislikes?
Thanks

I'm waiting for the SG 320, Badgertooth recommended that to me very strongly as a metal eater machine so I have high hopes for it.

I’ve also heard good things about shapton 320. I kinda figured it might make my king 300 redundant. Maybe that’s not accurate. Anybody have preferences for the 220 and 120 grit stuff?

I’ve taken a few knives to zero on a SP320. Definitely eats metal, but I think I wanna pick up a SP220 to see how it compares.

The gesshin 220 is great for thinning. It requires a good soak and is thirsty af, but eats a ton of metal

Shapton Pro 320 is good and fast, will dish more than the Shapton Glass ones. It's actually my go-to low grit stone because my Shapton Glass range is in the garage at the moment. I've got mixed feelings about Shapton Glass 320 because I feel it's no half as fast as the Shapton Glass 500. This might be because I rub my stones together to lap them and maybe my 320 is full of 1000 paste etc, I'm not sure. But I highly recommend the Shapton Glass 500, it's a very nice and fast stone. It also comes as a double thickness (10mm thick) if you can find it.

ive read that the shapton PRO 120 is stupid fast, but i am worried about awful feel. i know low grits arent supposed to feel good but i still want tolerable. for example i love the glass 500, i just want stupid fast metal removal hence interest in the 120 grit. anyone use SG 120 wanna chime in?

If you just want to remove metal fast, the best I've used was the sigma power 120 from Stu. Mine's in storage or i'd let you use it. I used a 220 Gesshin followed by suehiro cerax 320 to clean up and the combination worked well. I asked about the 400 atoma because I've been thinking about buying one myself.

Stone will load but the powder that comes with it will keep it clean and you can actually use it too but it's 36 grit...I believe he also included 60 grit sic as well but don't see it listed. A fun stone to use but you can do serious damage if not paying attention...not for faint of heart.

http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store...roduct_info&cPath=335_404_403&products_id=692

Panda, it feels really hard and coarse:biggrin: Don't know about the Shaptons.

Oddly enough China the stone I’m replacing is a sigma 220grit( RIP). Served me well and I have only nice things to say about it. I’ve never owned or even used a shapton so I’m intrigued, might just get gesh 220. Since I have already have a king 300 I don’t see a reason why I should pursue shapton 500 or 320. But I’m all ears if it could make sense to own both.

I’ve taken a few knives to zero on a SP320. Definitely eats metal, but I think I wanna pick up a SP220 to see how it compares.

You have a lot of patience...I have a SP320 and fast is surely not the word I would use. The SP220 and Pink brick 220 are noticeably faster and I still think they are way to slow to zero a grind. I have done it a few times and it left me wanting a belt grinder.

I usually go dmt plate to same grit Shapton glass. The glass smoothes out the scratch pattern. I really like the glass stones in the lower grits. Nothing removes metal like a diamond plate, though.

I recently got a Shapton Glass 220. It’s my only Shapton and only stone below 400, so any comparison is limited. Having said that, it’s faaaaaast and doesn’t feel terrible (actually feels quite good for how fast it is). I wouldn’t even consider the 120 now as I really don’t feel I need anything faster, but that’s just one opinion

ive read that the shapton PRO 120 is stupid fast, but i am worried about awful feel. i know low grits arent supposed to feel good but i still want tolerable. for example i love the glass 500, i just want stupid fast metal removal hence interest in the 120 grit. anyone use SG 120 wanna chime in?

I got the SG 320 and 120 because I love the 500 so much. The 320 is the champ, the 120, weirdly, is kinda slow on harder stuff. SG 320 and 500 are the only things that can go toe to toe with sukenari Honyaki.

I got the SG 320 and 120 because I love the 500 so much. The 320 is the champ, the 120, weirdly, is kinda slow on harder stuff. SG 320 and 500 are the only things that can go toe to toe with sukenari Honyaki.

The 120 SG is a weird stone. I much prefer the pro. But I do love the SG500!

Full confession here, I started this thread hoping everyone would recommend either pro or SG 220, instead the 320 SG is what people like. Choppin being the lone dissenter. And China being the wild card. Interesting.

Full confession here, I started this thread hoping everyone would recommend either pro or SG 220, instead the 320 SG is what people like. Choppin being the lone dissenter. And China being the wild card. Interesting.

I've actually had a few people telling me not to get the SG220, people I tend to trust in terms of stones.

i have a feeling not too many people actually tried 120, only nutso like you and i would even consider it
SG320 just seems redundant to me since i already use cerax 320

i have a feeling not too many people actually tried 120, only nutso like you and i would even consider it
SG320 just seems redundant to me since i already use cerax 320

People here mentioned that it’s surprisingly slow though. I think 220 is as low as I wanna go.

Oddly enough China the stone I’m replacing is a sigma 220grit( RIP). Served me well and I have only nice things to say about it. I’ve never owned or even used a shapton so I’m intrigued, might just get gesh 220. Since I have already have a king 300 I don’t see a reason why I should pursue shapton 500 or 320. But I’m all ears if it could make sense to own both.

Could have put one in the box....

I wore through 3 of these stones back about 13 yrs ago when I was first learning. They do indeed cut stupid fast and they wear almost as fast too. They have a really rough gritty feel to them.

Back