Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Which shapton for thinning?

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    I've got the 220 and it feels like concrete. I don't think it cuts any faster than the King Deluxe 300 either.

I'd be really careful thinning with an 140 Atoma, especial if it isn't broken in yet. You'll leave some very deep, find scratches the will be hard to remove.

Honestly, I'd say get the sandpaper holder from James. You can then put any grit on it you want 20 grit if you want. Kinda like a poor mans electric belt grinder. Always flat too.
    The first time I heard this I thought it was a weird idea but I am warming up to it. The sandpaper holder thing.

-Kit

Honestly, I'd say get the sandpaper holder from James. You can then put any grit on it you want 20 grit if you want. Kinda like a poor mans electric belt grinder. Always flat too.
    To keep things in a right perspective, that sandpaper holder costs as much as 1x30” belt grinder with a couple of belts. At the same time doing repairs with a belt grinder requires some experience to avoid really unpleasant mistakes.

I don't know if it's true for all coarse stones, but when I want to go fast, really shape some bevel or thin aggressively, I use my king 300 and open/refresh it like every minute or two on 60 grit sic on a granite slab. Messy but works pretty well.

I'd be really careful thinning with an 140 Atoma, especial if it isn't broken in yet. You'll leave some very deep, find scratches the will be hard to remove.
    Truthbombs. And by the one the “gouginess” is tamed, you’ve lost a fair bit of cutting speed.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    badger did you ever try SG220? i enjoy the SG500 so much i am considering picking one up even though i still have 98% life left on chosera400.
    I haven’t, but by all accounts the SG320 is new and a response to the fact that people love the 500 and want a slightly gruntier lower grit version. People have been a little meh abt the 220

I'll find out for myself, sg220 on order.

I have all the shapton pro stones up to 8000 grit. Just thinned my cleaver on the 120 a few days ago. Very effective at removing metal. I wouldn’t want to thin with a pro 320 at all! The 220 is much more rougher and more suited for thinning! For around 40 bucks that I paid for the 120 I’d venture to say it will last me years, but then I don’t do a lot of real heavy thinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    To keep things in a right perspective, that sandpaper holder costs as much as 1x30” belt grinder with a couple of belts. At the same time doing repairs with a belt grinder requires some experience to avoid really unpleasant mistakes.
    I bought a 1x30 and for me it is very cumbersome to use due to the narrowness of the belt. Not pleasant to use use at all, either, but it is convenient once you get the hang of it. Much, much faster. I feel like I want to get a 2 inch but I am not sure I want to spend that much. I mean, I could get a nice natural or two in its stay...lol.
    -Kit

A single GS 320 stone is appealing to me because of the travel/storage footprint
    Any more comments on 320 vs 500 in a head-to-head overall review?

I love the 500 for it's very even scratch pattern. It also feels very smooth for a lower grit, also for quickly exposing fresh metal for weekly sharpening, being able to skip directly to a 3k or even 5k. You don't get any of that with the 320, and it's not super effective for thinning, so I don't see the purpose.

The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com