Tanaka's

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Sinclair

Reaction score
Couple more Tanaka's came in from MM. I had ordered 3 from James, found that if you order more than one free shipping to Hawaii. Since have got another 3 from MM thought might give some observations if anyone interested. These were ordered 2017 so they are newer Tanaka's. All 6 blades are 240mm Gyuto's

James
I was surprised how thin the grinds were on the 2 Ginsan Nashiji lite. The Nashiji Blue #2 core is pretty thin too. What I like about these knives besides better fit & finish, is the geometry on both the Ginsan & Blue the heel extends farther back at the bottom instead of dropping straight down from the neck . With a rounded choil is comfortable with pinch grip & gives you that great heel Tanaka's are known for. The Nashiji finish is finer than Tanaka's have purchased in the past from MM. Both the lite & the blue are good cutters up there or better than knives that cost more. Also mention the heels are not as tall as older grinds From MM, so they fit in the 240mm wooden sayas sold by JCK best deal I know of on quality sayas. Even the Lite handles are nice, the blue has a upgrade Ebony with red spacer. I like Red & Black. The Lites must round spine & choil.

MM
Bought a Blue #2 Kurouchi carbon is a beast with a thicker edge grind. Comes with a D Ho wt. horn collar. 120.00 + 5.00 shipping. This is workhorse blade, but because of heel height still fits in a JCK saya. Bought this couple months ago.

VG10 Nashiji has the less rough Nashiji like James blade. The Heel drops straight down & is a little taller so does not fit saya. It is also the thinner grind. Must round spine & choil. Great cutter, but the handle has those plastic collars that are below the wood edge because they cannot be sanded. When I went knock it off was stubborn so cut it off with a chisel. It had been burned on, but the top edge was epoxy to seal. Put on a nice dark wood D with horn, had saved handles knocked off for customs. Stefan gave me a few too. 120.00

VG10 Damascus I like the Tanaka VG10 holds a better edge than most VG10 & find it pretty easy to sharpen. Ho D handle with Horn collar. It is the Tallest of the 6 blades so no saya. Must round Spine & Choil. This is a nice blade 135.00 shipping was just 5.00 for the two blades. I am disappointed that MM has crappy plastic handle on the Nashiji gyuto. I think most would pay extra 15.00 for horn like on the Damascus. :)

Heel Height
Two Nashiji Lites 51mm
Blue #2 core Nashiji 50mm
MM Blue #2 carbon workhorse 50mm
MM VG10 Nashiji 53mm
MM VG10 Damascus 54mm

I'll soon know what the Tanaka Nashiji Blue #2 210mm is like.I just ordered one from James. I wanted a Tanaka for a long time and had the urge for another 210mm. I have 240's also but find myself grabbing a 210 most of the time.Sometimes a 210 just feels so right.

I'll soon know what the Tanaka Nashiji Blue #2 210mm is like.I just ordered one from James. I wanted a Tanaka for a long time and had the urge for another 210mm. I have 240's also but find myself grabbing a 210 most of the time.Sometimes a 210 just feels so right.

I think you will like the Tanaka, it is a lot of knife for the money. While not longer 210's they are wide so feel a bit on the bigger side, in a good way.

I think you will like the Tanaka, it is a lot of knife for the money. While not longer 210's they are wide so feel a bit on the bigger side, in a good way.

Oh yea,now I am really looking forward to it.Thanks again Kit, for your input.

Has anyone an opinion re: the Ginsan Vs the R2 in terms of grind, F&F, and usability. The R2 is significantly more expensive although I imagine would have better edge retention.
in my experience, R2 edged V's on retention and edge in that order. R2 is magic if sharpened on diamond plates - imo. Most stuff our of James comes out with great FF - R2 ironwood FF is better

Latest posts

Back