Custom Order Progress Update

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Laurie x 2
Steve
Leonard
Rene
Walter
Julian
Karing
Oivind x 4 (waiting for steel)
Collin (#13)

I will start on a next batch after this is one is completed. Will post the progress updates as well as pictures.

M

Oivind, you got a whole set or are you hoarding them for the markup that will soon follow?

Ah..

Xmas gifts Collin.
One for my mother and stepfather and one for my mother and father-in-law.

2 x 150 and 2 x 180

Gonna keep 1 x 150 and 1 x 180 myself :)
And I have to get Marko to step up his game, so I ordered something really special. Pics will follow :)

NOOOO!!!! I didn't make the first cut.... any idea when the second list is coming up just so I can see where we are all at?

-Chuck

Originally Posted by Dave Martell
Marko, watch out for that #13
I know and he is about an hour away from me. Got to be vigilant.

M

I got home yesterday morning to a great surprise! Del did a great job with #13:whistling:

I am placing an order for a premium quality ironwood. It will be available as a choice for a handle material. I think I can arrange matching ironwood for sayas as well, but it won't be inexpensive, due to the cost of the wood, and I will ask for an advance.

Chuck -
the second batch will be after this one. I estimate in about two weeks.

M

You are on practice knives list. I haven't made the schedule for that one yet. :(

You are on practice knives list. I haven't made the schedule for that one yet. :(

Oh so there still is a practice knives list? Am I on that? Whenever you get to look at what you have available and have time to start on those, let me know. I'm in no rush.

Oh so there still is a practice knives list? Am I on that? Whenever you get to look at what you have available and have time to start on those, let me know. I'm in no rush.

Yes, there is one, but I will keep that to PM. I think I responded to your PM, didn't I? :)

Lol, yeah. I got confused when I read that the suji was your last practice knife, that's why I asked. I got it now :)

Ok I'll ask, what's this "practice knives list?"

Marko has made a bunch of knives in different shapes and sizes while practicing grinding and figuring out what blade shapes and geometry he liked. He is/will be regrinding them to match his final design, but they won't have his maker's mark, and will be sold at some discount.

Marko has made a bunch of knives in different shapes and sizes while practicing grinding and figuring out what blade shapes and geometry he liked. He is/will be regrinding them to match his final design, but they won't have his maker's mark, and will be sold at some discount.

Thanks John -

Last call for a matching ironwood set.

This wood is premium quality Arizona desert ironwood and is pretty expensive, but I think it will be a pretty stunning set.

I want the material for a handle and a saya cut from the same block, so I have to place an order at the same time.

This is the grade I am looking to get
003.JPG

I have two people down at this time.

The choice of steels is solid damascus, san-mai damascus with AEB-L core, W2 with hamon, 52100 damascus, and others.
M

Does this include people on the practice knife list? If it does and I made it to that list, I'm in.

I have several knives in different state of completion. Still working on improving finish. You might not believe it, but it seems to be the hardest of all steps involved in knife-making.

Here are a few knives profiled and ready to be heat treated.

DSC_0236.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

DSC_0234.jpg

Oh Chit. Devin Dammy and Bubble Wrap.

San-Mai with AEB-L core on Bubble-Wrap patern gyutos, to be precise. :)
The suji is carbon Ladder damascus I forged while at Devin's.
The the small gyuto are Spirograph stainless.

Wowa-wee-wow! Very nice!
I'm not sure how I managed to miss the signup for the first batch, but I really need to get on the next one.

A bit on the thick side, but at least edge deformation should be minimal.

A bit on the thick side, but at least edge deformation should be minimal.

hahaha nice one.

You know, I think the finishing steps are the bulk of work in any job. I remember putting models together when I was young, and they were giving instructions on how to make a tree for a diorama from scratch. It was like "Twist wire" and showed twisted wire. "Wrap in paper and glue" and showed that. "attach leaves" and it started to look vaguely arboreal. Then it said "finishing touches" and BAM it had 10 coats of paint, artificial bark, layered leaves, grass about the roots, etc. The final step is always the most over-the-top, especially with such high-class work as this.

Looking Good.......Glad to see you are using San Mai on the dammy.

Very cool and well done. I never would have thought the finish would be so difficult for a perfectionist. (sarcastic lol) Let me know when the next batch opens up, you know I am a sucker for a suji.

Back