Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Order Progress Update

Stunning Marko.

Is that snakewood?

Thank you.

Yes, it is.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Really like the silver cap on your D-handle. Can't wait for your second batch of custom knives

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Stunning Marko.

Is that snakewood?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Thank you.

Yes, it is.

M
    From that piece you have had sitting around for over a year? Hmmm...I have a piece of snakewood just like that...
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    From that piece you have had sitting around for over a year? Hmmm...I have a piece of snakewood just like that...
    Yes, that is the piece, but I actually had it for over two years.

Just to add, this block had the best figure but was a little short, so a spacer and a cap was necessary to give it enough length.

My work is influenced by Bob Kramer's work, no doubts about it, but in this case it was a pure necessity, then an attempt to copy. I come to think, I could have had an ed cap as well.

The spacer and the cap is mokume, but I haven't etched it.

M

PS: can somebody point to a good source of snakewood? I got mine from Amazon Exotic Hardwoods last time. I was however not dry, hence, two years sitting on it.

PS: can somebody point to a good source of snakewood? I got mine from Amazon Exotic Hardwoods last time. I was however not dry, hence, two years sitting on it.
    The best I had was from Robert at AZ Ironwood. He says he also sends it in for stabilizing - whatever that means. Not sure the resin can penetrate the dense wood, but I never had issues with the 2 pieces I used from him. I also had a few other pieces sitting round for 2+ years without issues, but I would not want to send them to someone in UT or in a desert somewhere...

Stefan

P.S., that snakewood handle is stunning. These are a PITA to make IMHO and yours look fabulous, even better with the metal cap.

Yes, that is the piece, but I actually had it for over two years.

Wow! it took two years to dry. I should go and ask them if they had something that was already dry. I thought Snakewood was so dense, that it doesn't need to be dried.

Quote Originally Posted by chazmtb View Post
    Wow! it took two years to dry. I should go and ask them if they had something that was already dry. I thought Snakewood was so dense, that it doesn't need to be dried.
    It was probably dry after a year, but I didn't get to work it and extra drying is only better.

Snakewood is very dense, but it is also reputed to be very brittle and delicate - it can crack sometimes years after being worked, so it has to be worked carefully, without overheating it, and every time it is drilled or ends exposed, the surface has to be treated with CA glue. At least that is what I have read about snakewood on pen turners forums, but they work with a smaller stock and drilling a larger hole for pen hardware, can easily heat up wood.

M

Nice work Marko.

Hoss

It has been a long time waiting to see my name in this thread, but AMAZING things happen to those who wait. Looks great Marko, and I love that handle.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson