Broken jnat. Usable?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got this giant monzento today in a trade. Arrived split in half. The crack is what you see in the top pic, both halves come apart. I guess I would have to try and flatten the bottom a bit just to make it stable? How would I do that?

Was a very fair trade in my favor, so if usable I'm still happy.

IMG_1956.jpgIMG_1957.jpg

The quickest way to fix it is to use glue the bottom half on with some MS Polymer caulk. Make sure the stone is completely dry, clean it with acetone, lay the top half down with the bottom facing upwards, apply dots of caulk the size of a marble all over the stone, place the bottom half on the stone and lightly push it down (don't apply extra weight while it dries). Let it dry, done.

For that price I would not *****. Glue it and use it! :)

Fwiw I wouldn't. You will ruin a lot of useable stone. I've had a few crack on me and have been advised not to ruin the stone but lap and fingerstone as you can

Fwiw I wouldn't. You will ruin a lot of useable stone. I've had a few crack on me and have been advised not to ruin the stone but lap and fingerstone as you can

The sides can't be usable with the splits? So that nixes two sides. Bottom is not very flat but I may be able to flatten it with my atoma.

Splits are VERY useable. That being said, they need to be small splits and lapped down flat. I have 2 split stones and while you can see the crack, as long as 1 side is not higher than the other AND you keep the blade at an angle going over the split, mine still work fine. Mind you, if you forget and run the blade parallel to the crack, all bets are off. I have to remind myself every time I pick one of them up.

I guess it all depends on your OCD level. Mine? Eh, not so high. I can make things work.

Some may say the edges may flake. On a softer stone like that. Maybe. That concerns you I would get some then CA ( crazy glue ) fill the crack and lap it flat. Pencil grid the side, lap it flat, grab a cheap blade and give her hell.

Some may say the edges may flake. On a softer stone like that. Maybe. That concerns you I would get some thin CA ( crazy glue ) fill the crack and lap it flat. Pencil grid the side, lap it flat, grab a cheap blade and give her hell.

Splits are VERY useable. That being said, they need to be small splits and lapped down flat. I have 2 split stones and while you can see the crack, as long as 1 side is not higher than the other AND you keep the blade at an angle going over the split, mine still work fine. Mind you, if you forget and run the blade parallel to the crack, all bets are off. I have to remind myself every time I pick one of them up.

I guess it all depends on your OCD level. Mine? Eh, not so high. I can make things work.

Yeah, I am a make things work kind of guy too! Most of my stones are seconds, either split or broken or just plain oddly cut, lol. I am cheap. However, I intentionally buy them that way! I would be bummed if my big nice stone showed up split in half like this, even if there is loads of life left in it.

I am not familiar with monzento but was the crack thru the working surface or the side of the stone? Some jnats should be used in a certain plane (eg suita are layered top-down, not sure how using it sideways would work?)

I am not familiar with monzento but was the crack thru the working surface or the side of the stone? Some jnats should be used in a certain plane (eg suita are layered top-down, not sure how using it sideways would work?)

I don't think it's layered and is usable on all sides. This orientation should give me the longest longevity of the stone I think. I'll find out.

You should be fine. My monzento was “ thin side up”. However, I lapped the side and the use/finish is exactly the same. I think you are going to be fine with the way you have it now.

Sprayed the sides with enamel, dried, then lapped the top. Took awhile and I haven't gotten the split completely smooth but almost. Gave it a go and didn't see any adverse results from the split. Holding together like a champ.

IMG_1975.jpg

Back