What Knife Should I Buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nestor

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been researching about Japanese knives and sharpening for just a few weeks now before jumping down this rabbit hole. I have been eyeing a Miyabi SG2/5000MCD and have gone in store to see how it feels and it feels pretty nice. I just wanted to ask for the opinion of experienced people before making a large purchase such as that. I would like to have any recommendations made on if there are any knives that are better quality for the money. Money isn't really a major issue, I would like to buy a knife that could last me a very long time. Thank you :)

Canada

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's Knife
Are you right or left handed?
Right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
200-270 mm
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
~1500 CAD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Mostly work with vegetables, chicken, and beef, but I'd probably be breaking down chickens with a different knife.
What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
I have been adjusting to thrust cutting technique after reading that it would be easier on Japanese steel.
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Damascus would be nice, with a wooden handle such as birchwood (not necessarily).
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Lighter material would be nice if using it for a while, but I have large hands so bigger and heavier knives don't bother me that much.
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Don't really care about this as much, if it takes time to get used to and it will be good then it will be worth it.
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I want it to last as long as possible, but I wouldnt mind sharpening every week to two weeks, or after doing a serious dinner such as for Christmas. (I'm assuming most real Japanese steel knives would keep their edge even after something like that though)

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes, wood.
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
No.
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, I am very interested and have plenty of knives I can practice sharpening before moving to a Japanese knife(don't wanna mess it up haha)
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Please recommend good quality whetstones, and sharpening materials as well

>What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? ~1500 CAD

If that's a real number, it would mean quite a different answer than if your budget is $150 CAD.

>What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? ~1500 CAD

If that's a real number, it would mean quite a different answer than if your budget is $150 CAD.

That would be my absolute maximum for a knife that completely bests everyone in its field. If it was something amazing that is worth the price, I would spend $1500. Id prefer to spend <500.

Nestor, if all stain resist is a must i recommend a takamura uchi 270mm! :) if not stainless jacket and carbon core is ok, i recommend a TF DENKA and keep in touch with TF and ensure it's custom tailored specs and keep on it until you get your perfect unicorn one!

Takamura Uchi 270 (pic borrowed from net)
takamura-uchigumo-gyuto-270mm-knife-takamura-chef-culinary-japanese-knife-knives.jpg

TF Denka 240 (my pics)
NLNzNDQl.jpg

hxvlj0Rl.jpg

^^^^Good choices, right there.

There is also sakai takayuki ginsan 3
(stainless/stainless clad) in the $400-500 range (for a 240mm).

Those are all one and done type knifes, at least in theory :rofl:

Ok, so after some research I've also found one knife to ask you guys about, Yu Kurosaki Sasame Gyuto.
So far the list has been narrowed down to:
TF Denka or the Sakai Takayuki ginsan 3
What are some pluses and minuses for all of these?

Ok, so after some research I've also found one knife to ask you guys about, Yu Kurosaki Sasame Gyuto.
So far the list has been narrowed down to:
TF Denka or the Sakai Takayuki ginsan 3
What are some pluses and minuses for all of these?

i think you have many more choices, it really depends if you need pure stain resist or can go with stainless clad carbon. Then you can explore more options - the budget is plentiful for something truely awesome. You can also go Kurosaki R2s as well (which is same steel as the takamura).

Kurosaki R2 Hammered Western (my pics)
UgUki1Ul.jpg

n5yP3Fdl.jpg

Any decent knife will last you a long time. Personally I think 1500 CAD is an overkill, at the price you are basically buying aesthetics.

https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...o-plum-motif-yanagiba-270mm-and-300mm-2-sizes
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...ies-japanese-castle-motif-gyuto-270mm10-6inch

These two are very pretty knives I would never buy because I need a gyuto for work. One is blue #2 which is not stainless, but very pretty. Keep in mind there is no such thing as perfect knife, while a knife could be excellent to make a very fine dice it is terrible for splitting chickens or going through squash. Performance wise, I don't think you notice any difference between a $200-300 knife and a $1500 knife. I haven't used a $1500 knife so I could be wrong, but until recently I only owned german knives and I never had any issues, I do enjoy my gyuto though(https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...to-180mm-to-240mm-3-sizes?variant=29537643011).

My advise would be to spend $200-300 on a gyuto(which buys you a great knife), buy some stones, and fill any holes in your set you might have, ranging from a boning knife (sees a lot of use) to a cleaver (not a lot of use at home).

i think you have many more choices, it really depends if you need pure stain resist or can go with stainless clad carbon. Then you can explore more options - the budget is plentiful for something truely awesome. You can also go Kurosaki R2s as well (which is same steel as the takamura).

Kurosaki R2 Hammered Western (my pics)
UgUki1Ul.jpg

n5yP3Fdl.jpg
Wow, that is a beautiful knife. I don't know about many good brands for japanese knives, I only read that Miyabi was a number one pick for a lot of people (probably sponsored now that I think about it). I made an error when choosing stainless or non stainless in the survey, I honestly don't care as long as the knife is good. I also really like damascus patterns.

Wow, that is a beautiful knife. I don't know about many good brands for japanese knives, I only read that Miyabi was a number one pick for a lot of people (probably sponsored now that I think about it). I made an error when choosing stainless or non stainless in the survey, I honestly don't care as long as the knife is good. I also really like damascus patterns.

if u like dammy then get the takamura uchi 270! :D

After sitting on the decision for a while and doing more research, my last two choices have come down to the TF Denka and the Kurosaki Shizuku R2. I'm leaning towards the Denka but there is only one thing that is stopping me from pulling the trigger on it. I've been reading that Fujiwara-san's knives don't have amazing quality control and have come to members of this forum with many quality problems that a $900 knife shouldn't have, but this thread was probably from a few years ago. Has the quality control changed? Or should I contact a trusted retailer and ask them to properly choose out the knife for me from the selection? I am stuck on this decision right now and that's why I've been also considering the Kurosaki R2. Thank you guys in advance for your help.

That would be my absolute maximum for a knife that completely bests everyone in its field. If it was something amazing that is worth the price, I would spend $1500. Id prefer to spend <500.

Would you? Do you have any over $500?
I'm wondering what's so special is such expensive knives... Is it really about the incredible quality?

Latest posts

Back