Shibata kotetsu sg2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexec

Reaction score
SHIBATA KOTETSU SG2
Anyone own this knife? Or used it? Whats ur experience with it?
Im interested to invent on some, should I?
If not, whats the way to go?

I've had both the 180mm bunka and the 240 gyuto. They are very good knives. Definitely in the laser category. Good fit and finish and for how thin the knife is there's a very decent amount of convexity. They sharpen very nicely given the steel used and hold the edge well. Mind you that the tips on these knives are delicate and of the 3 work colleagues that bought this knife I was the only one that didn't break the tip.
If I may suggest have a look into the shinko kurokumo line from K&S. It's not much more expensive (depending on where you shop), but you get the same steel a better fit and finish, nicer handle and a gorgeous etched Damascus.
I've owned both the kotetsu and the kurokumo at the same time and ended up selling the shibata, the kurokumo is there to stay. It's probably my second favourite knife of all the ones I've used in the past.
http://www.knivesandstones.com/search.php?search_query=Kurokumo

I've had both the 180mm bunka and the 240 gyuto. They are very good knives. Definitely in the laser category. Good fit and finish and for how thin the knife is there's a very decent amount of convexity. They sharpen very nicely given the steel used and hold the edge well. Mind you that the tips on these knives are delicate and of the 3 work colleagues that bought this knife I was the only one that didn't break the tip.
If I may suggest have a look into the shinko kurokumo line from K&S. It's not much more expensive (depending on where you shop), but you get the same steel a better fit and finish, nicer handle and a gorgeous etched Damascus.
I've owned both the kotetsu and the kurokumo at the same time and ended up selling the shibata, the kurokumo is there to stay. It's probably my second favourite knife of all the ones I've used in the past.
http://www.knivesandstones.com/search.php?search_query=Kurokumo

Thank you very much. Im buying from Europe, Cyprus and having a tough time realy

Or look into the takamura r2. They are excellent knives as well

Im getting a takamura soon. I just think the looks on kotetsu are awesome. Im thinkimg that or a hap40 knife [kohetsu vs kazan]

Ive heard negative things about Kohetsu. But I’ve never tried one myself. To my surprise some of my coworkers have been asking me about them. Is this line really popular or something?

Ive heard negative things about Kohetsu. But I’ve never tried one myself. To my surprise some of my coworkers have been asking me about them. Is this line really popular or something?

It is, at ONE place as they are pushing that product very hard.

Like here with the OP it's pushed against the Takamura. (It was the same with me a few years back) When guys ask them about the Takamura they always offer the Kohetsu as a great option. They use the stellar reputation of the Takamura to sell their inferior product instead.

Kohetsu is sold as an "exclusive" house brand which is total BS. Other vendors have sold it too under different brand names like the Kazan, Kohsay, Kashima etc. Some vendors have stopped selling it and I wonder if it's due to the quality issues?

I haven't used the Shibata Kotetsu, but there's a couple forum members that really liked theirs. I've heard only good things. Its been very often compared to the Takamura too, but it seems to be living up to that comparison!

...unlike some other knives? :lol2:

Like here with the OP it's pushed against the Takamura. (It was the same with me a few years back) When guys ask them about the Takamura they always offer the Kohetsu as a great option. They use the stellar reputation of the Takamura to sell their inferior product instead.

Kohetsu is sold as an "exclusive" house brand which is total BS. Other vendors have sold it too under different brand names like the Kazan, Kohsay, Kashima etc. Some vendors have stopped selling it and I wonder if it's due to the quality issues?

NOT the same knife. Shibata KOTetsu. Not the KOHetsu. These are what the op is about - https://carbonknifeco.com/collections/shibata-knives... Though the place you're talking about does sell the Shibata

NOT the same knife. Shibata KOTetsu. Not the KOHetsu. These are what the op is about - https://carbonknifeco.com/collections/shibata-knives... Though the place you're talking about does sell the Shibata

Im getting a takamura soon. I just think the looks on kotetsu are awesome. Im thinkimg that or a hap40 knife [kohetsu vs kazan]

Yep. I think that was clear, but the OP also mentioned the Kohetsu being on his short list which I think labor was referring to. I was.

Have a kotetsu pairer and bunka and co bunka. Real lasers. Not bad f&f. Take a good edge and hold the edge well I find the blade design looks pretty but the swept back heel to me gets in the way especially with the pairer. Overall I think a good knife for the money. Thin and light

I've got the Bunka. Good steel and f&f. Nice and thin, almost too light. I've grown to like the profile more over time. If I'm honest though, this is the one knife I almost never reach for.

A local chef has a Shibata gyuto, a suji and a bunka straight from the maker. It might be cheaper if you don't get taxed heavily.

Thanks for responding and making some things clear.

Have a kotetsu pairer and bunka and co bunka. Real lasers. Not bad f&f. Take a good edge and hold the edge well I find the blade design looks pretty but the swept back heel to me gets in the way especially with the pairer. Overall I think a good knife for the money. Thin and light

Thank you very much for commenting

I've got the Bunka. Good steel and f&f. Nice and thin, almost too light. I've grown to like the profile more over time. If I'm honest though, this is the one knife I almost never reach for.

Thanks for your comment

What have you heard?

I have a 270 suji, they are amazing knives but not for the novice, they demand respect as they are quite fragile, but they hold an edge very well and are honestly probably the best cutting knife I have handled for raw going through things, I sliced bell pepper so thin it was basically invisible the other day, that isn't something I can do with just any knife. The knives also have decent flex, my suji doubles as a filet knife lol.

I have a 270 suji, they are amazing knives but not for the novice, they demand respect as they are quite fragile, but they hold an edge very well and are honestly probably the best cutting knife I have handled for raw going through things, I sliced bell pepper so thin it was basically invisible the other day, that isn't something I can do with just any knife. The knives also have decent flex, my suji doubles as a filet knife lol.

Thanks for info mate

I might have the Kotetsu Suji for sale in EU, PM me if you´re interested.

I also have the Shibata Kotetsu 270 suji and the 210 gyuto. I really love both of these knives. Most of my J-knives are carbon...these are two of only a handful of stainless ones I own. I use the 210 for reactive stuff - cutting onions, heirloom tomato salad, etc. Really like it for that. Also I kept the 210 even though I much prefer knives that are higher at the heel...that says to me that the knife is really good - I'm willing to overlook a few things that are not exactly as I would prefer. The 270 suji is great for slicing roast, cooked pork, etc. Both of these hold the edge extremely well.

Cheers,
Blair

I also have the Shibata Kotetsu 270 suji and the 210 gyuto. I really love both of these knives. Most of my J-knives are carbon...these are two of only a handful of stainless ones I own. I use the 210 for reactive stuff - cutting onions, heirloom tomato salad, etc. Really like it for that. Also I kept the 210 even though I much prefer knives that are higher at the heel...that says to me that the knife is really good - I'm willing to overlook a few things that are not exactly as I would prefer. The 270 suji is great for slicing roast, cooked pork, etc. Both of these hold the edge extremely well.

Cheers,
Blair

But in general is it a good all purpose knife?

Back