Carter, Heiji and another Carter ...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peco

Banned
Reaction score
are comming my way within 1 week :happymug:

To be continued ...

First up:

STYLE: High Grade Funayuki, Ho Wood Handle/Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
STEEL: White Steel, laminated with stainless steel
FINISH: Ground, polished
HANDLE: Ho Wood Handle/Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
WEIGHT: 186 grams
BLADE LENGTH: 7.6 sun, 229mm (9")
BLADE WIDTH: 54mm
BLADE THICKNESS: 2mm
NOTE: Extra wide blade width.

Carter.jpg

2nd up:

Custom order Heiji Gyuto high carbon steel with Ebony handle.

1317340426-heiji_new.jpg

I bought almost the exact same knife a month or so ago. Mine is about a half inch longer and not the extra wide blade though. This is the first knife i bought that really just made me say wow when i used it. It just glides through food.

Mike

I bought almost the exact same knife a month or so ago. Mine is about a half inch longer and not the extra wide blade though. This is the first knife i bought that really just made me say wow when i used it. It just glides through food.

Mike

Good to hear Mike :D Hopefully it will find my home soon.

Congratz

I guess you bought the last carter unseen at KF :)
Hope you like the carters :)

Yes I did. Will get a pic later. Maybe it will come your way - who knows? :D

Heiji is in da house :D

First real J-knife. Great profile, good looks etc. Yesterday I used the knife for the first time. The edge felt very fragile compared to my germans. After a couple of hours of work I noticed some minor chips on the edge. Read about others experiences (chipped edges on new knifes) and actually didn't worry that much.

Today I hit the stones and put a new edge on the beast - 400, 1000, 3000 and 5000 grit. Used the knife doing a lot of prepwork - both veggies and protein - and after a full days work I had a perfect edge without any chipmarks. So far I'm impressed with the Heiji. Great balance, size, cutting is awesome ... like soft butter ... and it got really sharp (compared to what I'm used to). It's the high carbon model and the patina is already showing - beautiful :) No sign of coloring on the food, no smell etc. and I cut everything from onions to fillet. Can't wait to use it again. Might ad a new handle at one point because what's on could be better.

I also received a Carter, blue steel, riverted handle. As many have said the Carter knifes are great cutting machines. Very pleased with the performance. Sharpening this knife were plain easy. Even though I like this knife I might let it go. I find it a little to short for the kind of work I do. So guess this little fellar might take a little trip to Norway. I also have another Carter comming in a day or two, so no big loss.

All in all it has been a great and enjoyable day with my new toy(s).

Sounds like you had fun!
I LOVE my Carters, but as blown away as I am with my 5.2 sun funy, I've been pulling the suji for basically everything. Love him or hate him, the guy makes a wicked blade!
Once you get a nice patina going, we carbon lovers would love to see a picture or two. :)

Back