Quantcast
Tsourkan Knives - Gallery - Page 21
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Tsourkan Knives - Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post

Marko, have you ever considered anything from HHH arsenal (enslaving elves, making clones or working on steroids)?
    No

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    No
    To be more specific, not interested in subcontracting any of my work. I am considering making stock knives with a convex grind (not as labor and time intensive as S grind thus knives will be less expensive) but I will still make them inhouse, same HT, same finish, same handles and same quality control.

M

Marko, I think a lot of people would stand line if you offered a production/mid tech.. Guyto. A knife that had the advantages of a MARKO design/HT/Grind/Quality/FF but simpler with a more approachable price point <$500 . Like Devin's model.

He said, I'm making 24 knives, 12 in x and 12 in Y. No modifications. They cost this and be ready in three months. Period end of story. First come first serve. Sign up in this thread. Who wants one?

You won't have to waste time consulting with the customer, I want this, can you make it this way bla bla bla. No, Here it is, take it or leave it. I bet you'll find a lot of takers around here, including me.

Marko you could also merchandise other products to those customers improving your margin in a single transaction.

PS: That being said, Devin did phone to let me know the knife was done, even offered a choice of three handle materials. He is such a gracious soul.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

I agree.

Markos knives are already <$500 for a custom
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Holy ******* ****!

Mid-tech implies that some of the processes are farmed out. Farming out laser or water jet cutting blanks would be fine, but the rest, I have no intention of sourcing. Simply put, the grind and the HT are the most important processes and these will be always done in house.

If I stay afloat in the knife making business, and I hope I will, I will invest in some $$ equipment down the road to automate some of the steps.

My business model is pretty simple - to keep the knives affordable, which requires to be innovative and find efficiency where it could be found. I am trying to think "out of box" and more often than not, it works.

I can grind and finish a convex blade 30 percent faster than an S grind blade, so offering convex blades for stock knives will be the first step. Lottery will continue be knives that I don't make often or highly desirable types like gyutos. These will be done one per week.

I will be bogged down with my custom orders for quite some time (likely over a year) and my list is closed, so stock knives and lottery knives will be the only way to get one of my knives.

Mid-tech implies that some of the processes are farmed out.
    I don't think that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    I don't think that's true.
    I am just paraphrasing Ken Onion's definition of mid-tech, which I agree with.

I am just paraphrasing Ken Onion's definition of mid-tech, which I agree with.
    I'm not sure I would use Ken Onion as my baseline...