SS clad blue with good "hamon activity"?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inferno

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <*))))><
Reaction score
Looking for something thats has a plain ss or damascus cladding, blue 2 preferably, and good "hamon activity", not those preclad non manually worked stuff.
Preferably a quite beefy blade behind the edge. no lazorz.
what to look for? which lines of which makers?
I want something like this:

20150524_0155.jpg

i think you might be misunderstanding what a hamon is. The picture you posted shows a lamination line. Also, the vast majority of stainless clad carbon is coming from preclad stock... literally almost everything you will see. Cladding stainless to carbon is not the easiest thing to do. I can think of a few examples of this done entirely by hand, but just a few.

*The knife pictured in your post was made from pre-clad stock

I can think of a few examples of this done entirely by hand, but just a few.
many knife maker can make stainless cladding, it's pretty simple to do.

I'm not even sure if a stainless clad japanese knife wich is not made out of pre clad material exist?

edit: too late

i think you might be misunderstanding what a hamon is. The picture you posted shows a lamination line. Also, the vast majority of stainless clad carbon is coming from preclad stock... literally almost everything you will see. Cladding stainless to carbon is not the easiest thing to do. I can think of a few examples of this done entirely by hand, but just a few.

*The knife pictured in your post was made from pre-clad stock

I know what a hamon is. This is posing as a hamon.
I think the knife above was preclad but then hand forged to make this pseudo "hamon activity".

I want something similar.

I'm not even sure if a stainless clad japanese knife wich is not made out of pre clad material exist?

edit: too late

Yeah they are all preclad but some of them are just ground as is, and has a flat straight lamination line, and some have activity like the one above.
It looks like that because someone hand "forged" it. so its not a perfect straight line anymore after grinding.

Inferno you really lost me. Where do you see hamon line on the knife you posted? As Jon said I think you're referring to the lamination line. From what I can remember hamon is the faint line that shows up when hardening a piece mono teel

Edit, doesn't Watanabe clad his own SS/blue?

A hamon is the line close to where the edge of the applied clay ends during quenching and where you get the differential hardening on katanas. for example. i know.

on non manually worked knives (after the factory cladding) it looks like this. and this is highly unsexy.
KagayakiBlueSteelGyutoB.JPG

Not all pre-clad (from an automated process) knives have a perfectly straight lamination line tho

on non manually worked knives (after the factory cladding) it looks like this. and this is highly unsexy.

Once again, that's not a hamon, that's a lamination line. While you may be correct when you describe a hamon on a katana, the hamon on kitchen knives is much closer to the spine.

I think (sorta educated guess from experience) that the look you want in the original post is because it was thinned (before etching) ,rather than hand forged to upset clad, amd you may not want thinning since you're after a chunky edge. Ask Dave, as he's the one who did the knife in the first post I think.

A hamon is the line close to where the edge of the applied clay ends during quenching and where you get the differential hardening on katanas. for example. i know.

What everyone here is telling you is that the first picture you posted is in no way a honyaki, or has a hamon, or even is meant to mimic a hamon. It's a Sanmi lamination line.

I think the OP is looking for an acid-ethched lamination line...(?)
OR maybe its just abrasive kasumi finish from Jnats.

Although a pre-laminated stock can be also hand-hammerd + hand ground,
i'm not really sure it matters if just looking for the 'pop'

So you want high contrast on the lamination line between carbon core and stainless cladding. Hiromoto AS (knife pictured in first post) were known the take the etching treatment to show the contrast well. But they’re no longer made, and they didn’t come from the factory looking like that. It was a popular, reasonably priced knife, so could probably be found. I’ve seen some HHH and Haburn with similar looks.

come on guys, that's a hamon right there!! I see it too! :p

Personally what I got from that dogs breakfast of an original post is that he specifically wants a hand forged san mai or similar type SS clad blue core ..?

Personally what I got from that dogs breakfast of an original post is that he specifically wants a hand forged san mai or similar type SS clad blue core ..?

113785065_o1.jpg

This is cored with VG10, the effect I don't think has to do with the core steel...but who knows

Another....I think its just acid etching that they have in common...

107801965.jpg

I understand that OP wants a knife with interestingly looking hamon - the knife posted was just a visual example of what it could look like. He is not after a stainless clad knife, nor is he expecting a hamon on a stainless knife.

Inferno - partially as was said already - hamon on a knife is often closer to the spine than to the edge. You will also not get such a high contrast as you may want. In general white steels allow for a bit more pronounced than blue steels. Google for example konosuke honyaki - you will find photos where the hardened part is mirror polished and the softer one is matted.

nono he wants Jamon at the edge, like when you cut Jamon with a knife.

Another....I think its just acid etching that they have in common...

107801965.jpg

Now were talking!
Very interesting and "high activity" look of the "hamon"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know goddamn well its a lamination line and that its etched to enchance the contrast, and so do all of you.

I want:
stainless clad one way or another
blue steel (pref 2)
no laser
good activity at the lamination line, like the example I posted and the one I'm quoting in this post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Have spent the last few days looking through maybe a thousand knives on different shops and not a single one has as good looking lamination line (you know, random wavy, nice) as these 2. and yes i know they are not etched in the shops, but you can still see the lamination lines pretty clearly on almost all knives I've seen.

So the OP is confusing hamon with cladding line. Big deal, easy mistake.
I've seen that falsely used in some advertising too.

I think OP wants the cladding line not to be a clean line from heel to tip, but rather find something similar then in the first picture.

Edit.
Op beat me to it.

Etching sure makes the cladding line pop, but even if it's not etched the line starts to pop when the patina starts develop as long as the line is wavy in the first place.

Back