Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edge retention on Misono 440?

Edge retention on Misono 440?

Has anyone used the misono 440 in a pro environment? I'm looking for some cheap-ish stainless for house knives, other options in the same price bracket would also be appreciated

Huw

Make simplicity seem like abundance - Tetsuya Wakuda

i dunno about that one, but if you're gonna drop $100 USD on a house knife i'd say go mac chef series?

Likewise... don't have experience on the actual knife... but in that price range there are a lot of other options. At 120 dollars for a 210 gyuto you could also look at

-Carbonext (cheaper)
    -Tojiro DP (about...half as much)
    -Fujiwara FKM (just over half as much)
    -Sakai Teriyaki Grand Chef (slightly more expensive)
    -Tojiro HSS (slightly more expensive)
    -Masahiro MV or MVH (comparable pricing)
    -Suisin Inox (comparable pricing, maybe slightly cheaper)

And that's probably leaving out quite a lot of good options. Who knows, maybe someone who used them all can chime in. Preizzo?

I owned a 440 about 8 years ago. My memory is pretty hazy although I think I disliked the handle, profile and weight(really heavy). Even when I was a noob I was picky! I much preferred the UX10, but of course you're looking for a bargain. I would suggest try before you buy.

I've been playing around with this concept for about a year now. And the Carbonext was my first gut reaction as well. I've contemplated a variety of other stainless options, and the prospect of upkeep made me think harder on the subject...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Had excellent results with the Hiromoto NS-10, much thinner than usual with Mr Nagao, and allowing a rather conservative edge. Great edge retention, even on crappy poly boards. https://www.scottsmarketplace.com/bu...fe-210mm-8-14/

I don't know about a pro environment obviously but the Masahiro MV-H is one of my favorite cheap knives, steel is really tough and it has a nice grind

Possibly relevant; who will be doing the sharpening and how? And how experienced will they be at it?

+1 for Tojiro DP
    For half the price you get better heat treat / edge retention (60HRC vs 58-59HRC).
    Unless your guys like to hack through bones and frozen stuff, then just get some cheapy / soft stainless euro knives.
    Sorry for the negative comment, but i've seen so many chefs mistreating their knives, that i have lost all my illusions regarding proper house knives.

JCK Kagayaki Basic Series is an excellent knife for the price, handle on the larger side, very evenly balanced, asymmetrical blade with the back being flat, sharpens up easily for VG-1 and holds the edge...