Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Patina, Bad Patina

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Yes, good memory.
    Here it is with its new buddy (that Karing is also responsible for me purchasing):

My DSLR is still out on loan, so the pictures are still just done with a phone camera... lighting was a bit better today but still really doesn't do the colors and depth of detail justice.
    I don't want to blow up this thread with a ton of inserted images, so here's the link to the gallery for those that want to see more:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Justin....eat=directlink

*oh yeah the patina on the suji is "au Naturel" done mostly with raw and cooked meat. The steel was much less reactive than the shige cladding so I could take my time with it.
    That suji patina is one of the sickest patinas I have ever seen. Wow! (If any of you haven't, check out his picasa gallery for closeups... just wow.)

I think grit from your stones sorta peels off a little layer of patina every time you sharpen so therefore your patina always changes. I've tried making fancy patterns on my knives before but they never last, just change with what I am cutting. Mine look pretty nice I think, bronze mainly with a slight green tint on some parts. Only blue bit left is where my fingers are. I never wipe off the patina on my knives unless I am worried there is rust on it

Quote Originally Posted by UglyJoe View Post
    That suji patina is one of the sickest patinas I have ever seen. Wow! (If any of you haven't, check out his picasa gallery for closeups... just wow.)
    Yeah, Will's steel takes gallery-worthy patinas.

I recently gave up polishing my kitaeji Shig. The orange parts of the patina still bug me though...

I cut a sweet potato with my Shige today. It turned the knife PURPLE! Now the knife is like 50% purple, then green closer to the edge, then blue right on the edge. It's beautiful, my phone pics do it little justice.