Potato knife. Yes, really.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetbn

Reaction score
Seems silly to want a knife just for potatoes, and I'm sure I would use it for other things, but it's the one thing that I cut a lot of and nothing I have does it well. The knives I have are either thin and cut easily but have massive sticktion, or are too thick and wedge making it not cut easily. Looking for something medium thin that is very convex. Any recommendations under $250? can be either Wa or Western handle, 210 or 240cm blade, stainless preferred. Thanks!

It's also possible (probable) that my knives are fine and my cutting technique sucks. Tips in that regard are appreciated too.

Just saw that after my post. The Kochi looks great, and only slightly above my price point. I might go that route if I don't find a good less expensive option.

Glestain. The perfect "potato knife". The combination of the geometry and the indentations works. Nothing else comes close, at least when it comes to potatoes (but NOT sweet potatoes).

Glestain. The perfect "potato knife". The combination of the geometry and the indentations works. Nothing else comes close, at least when it comes to potatoes (but NOT sweet potatoes).

Thanks! that looks very promising. Curious though, why not sweet potatoes?

http://www.russellhendrix.com/produ...nckels-twin-master-boning-knife-55-32103-140#

this is the absolut potato knife.

you can also try a bread knife.
(Some are good some are not, for this task)

With a Gyuto, if it doesn’t have effective convex as a global g2 I used to have, there is a technique that is effective to every Gyuto, in order not to have the potato stick on the sides,I will try to explain:
You pinch grip the knife,
You lift it up,
Knife vertical (or almost vertical)
over the potato,
Tip of the knife facing the potato,
And you cut with the tip of the blade and the sector of the cm close to the tip.
That sector is thinner and narrower.
Quick and clean

I know this will be heresy for gyuto fans, but if potato "sticktion" is a result of the combination of surface area, surface finish, blade thickness, convex vs. flat grind, and all the rest... then why not deal with that first problem -- surface area?

Try using a long petty knife, somewhere in the 180-210 range. There will be way less blade area for sticking, and plenty of blade length to get through the cut.

I admit this is "theorycraft" because my longest petty is 165mm and I don't usually grab that for potato rounds. But I have a longer one on the way to test this idea.

I know this will be heresy for gyuto fans, but if potato "sticktion" is a result of the combination of surface area, surface finish, blade thickness, convex vs. flat grind, and all the rest... then why not deal with that first problem -- surface area?

Try using a long petty knife, somewhere in the 180-210 range. There will be way less blade area for sticking, and plenty of blade length to get through the cut.

I admit this is "theorycraft" because my longest petty is 165mm and I don't usually grab that for potato rounds. But I have a longer one on the way to test this idea.

Problem with a petty is it lacks the weight so you have to use more force to make the cut. Plenty of good gyuto options for pot. Curious what the op thinks about the Glestain if he chooses to borrow PT's

I’m of the same thinking as you. But instead using a petty I use the tip of a thin grind gyuto. Examples like kochi, gengetsu, akebono, wakui, KS, martell, tilman, Sakai lasers have all worked well for me in the past.

Back