Scheduling Software/Excel Template/Etc

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan G.

Reaction score
Hey guys I have some basic excel knowledge but I am looking for a template or software that I can input my employee names, there hours or better yet time in and time out and hours are calculated, pay rate and I will get daily totals from each that will be added up per day and if those totals can link to add up for the week, great. If you guys know where to look or have a template I would be appreciative. My time is really tight right now and I am having trouble searching or learning it all right now myself.

Thanks, Regards

Bryan

You can do this step by step in Excel. You can have the following fields running from column A to whatever:
A - Employee, B - Date, C - Start, D - End, E - Weekstart, F - Hours

You type in A, B, C, D each day and for each employee. In Column E you would type in the first date for the first day of the week. You can then just copy this value for all entries that week. Column F would be =hours(D2-C2), and copy that as needed.

Are you familiar with pivot tables? You can then go Data -> Pivot Tables, grab data from $A:$E, yes there's a header row, put the pivot table in a new sheet, and then grab the following:

Employee, Weekstart on the left, Hours Worked in the main "body" of the table.

That ought to do it. This is just off the top of my head, but this ought to do the trick.

Bryan, let me know your email addy by PM. I whipped up an Excel file that ought to do the trick for you. It's pretty much as above, but with a few tweaks. Nothing super-fancy, but it'll do the basics.

BTW, I forgot to add in the bit about hourly rate and pay above, but it's in the workbook that I put together.

I spend a bit more time than I'd like working with Excel :) On the other hand, maybe I'm a sucker for punishment because there's a "Information Dashboards" online course for Excel that I'm thinking of paying for...

Ditto, Bryan pm me your email and I will send you the scheduling template I use.

And if it's one that you're already using, there's a good chance it's a more polished one than what I put together ;)

Haha, I was planning on putting one together over the weekend as well, chance to learn some new excel skills without just creating dummy spreadsheets without a purpose. I'm used to analysing data rather than creating it.
Will be interesting to see what other people come up with, I have a tendency to make everything massively formula driven, but then when they break nobody knows how to fix it. Keeping it simple, yet doing everything neatly will take me a bit of experimenting, but will be a good learning curve

I tend to do a lot of formulas as well - but really, that's what Excel is made for. The challenge for us is to make the interface for everyone else as easy as possible - something that I find can take at least as much effort as creating the rest of the structure to begin with.

O and for all of you that find the formulas a PATFA , try numbers for Mac much easer to use.

Actually, the formulas are the fun part for me :D

Particularly things like VLOOKUP, IF(whatever), and for presentation purposes, conditional formating. Kinda like working with different ingredients to create something I can picture in my mind beforehand.

Back