How do you rate your sharpening skills?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensbites

Reaction score
I posted this on the CKTG forum, and the discussion has been quite interesting.

I have always been able to sharpen a knife to the point where it cuts better than most of the people around me. I have recently gone deeper down the sharpening rabbit hole after a friend shipped me some knives to play with and his skills clearly exceed mine. I have made significant progress in the last few weeks, but I want to improve more.

How does one benchmark their own skills?

slice free hanging paper towel and not wedge much in thick dry carrots.

The less steel I have to remove to still put a smile on my face the better. I sharpen better than most anyone I know that's not a forum member but probably fall in the decent sharpener category among forumites with skill.

And I wouldn't believe anything i read at cktg anything...

The less steel I have to remove to still put a smile on my face the better. I sharpen better than most anyone I know that's not a forum member but probably fall in the decent sharpener category among forumites with skill.

And I wouldn't believe anything i read at cktg anything...

That seemed the gist of things over there as well.

Some things changed with time for me, like using less pressure to sharpen, using less stones in my progression, enjoying harder stones, no more bleeding fingers unless there is thinning involved, checking the edge more frequently in order to avoid big burrs (if you raise a big burr, then it will be harder to deburr), feeling with more ease when the edge is being hit, using the right stones for the task and as a consequence it is taking less time to achieve better results than before. On the other hand i see a lot of bevels with less then perfect thickness and i'm realising how unprecise my perception of very small burrs is.

I can sharpen knives better than 99.9% of the world's population cool: (so I assume). But within the comunity of people who use and sharpen Japanese kitchen knives for several years I would be found towards the end of the skill-line. I just do not do it often enough, sometimes struggle to get the edge burr-free on the first attempt. So I have a lot to improve upon. I also have alot to improve on the knoledge which stones to combine and how much to sharpen on each of them. Apparently to form a distinct burr with every stone in the progression may not yield the ultimate reachable edge sharpness & retention - or so it would seems the experienced of some around here would suggest. I am not there yet.

My knives are definitely sharp to give me a clean cut in my finger when I do not pay full attention while cutting :wink:

I can get a knife scary sharp, my issue is sometimes I F up and get minor scratching on the blades face, saying this the other day I made a shibata so sharp my boss got giddy using my blade, so overall I'd say 2/10

I can get a knife scary sharp, my issue is sometimes I F up and get minor scratching on the blades face, saying this the other day I made a shibata so sharp my boss got giddy using my blade, so overall I'd say 2/10

Not a f-up in my book. Scratches are part of maintaining geometry with stones. You'll have better cutting knives not fretting about that, thin as you go :)

I still dont get why a relatively simple skill like sharpening knives and tools (albeit, a rapidly dying skill in modern society) is approached by so many with such trepidation, and elevated by others to a status or "an art" (see various references to the term "honemeister"). Sharpening is an acquired skill, simple to learn, and easy to correct. A knife can only be sharpened so much. Once it's sharpened - that is it - it's sharpened. Like any other manual skill it takes time and patience - but keep in mind that its not a race. Its not about how you "rate yourself" because how I or anyone else rate themselves is meaningless. Its about how well the knife performs once sharpened. and even then, it is not so much about sharpness, ones cutting skills or "knife skills" as they are sometime referred to come heavily into play - a different skill altogether. Not to mention what one can or cannot do in terms of cooking with his or her cutting skills. And that greatly depends on the cutting surface, the freshness of the ingredients, and a host of other parameters that have nothing to do with sharpening a knife. I rate myself 10/10 on the Tsuriru scale - but it's a very subjective and sliding scale :)

Not a f-up in my book. Scratches are part of maintaining geometry with stones. You'll have better cutting knives not fretting about that, thin as you go :)

I know that, still makes me sad, I recently got a mirror polished damascus blade and let me tell you, every scratch cuts my soul lol

I still dont get why a relatively simple skill like sharpening knives and tools (albeit, a rapidly dying skill in modern society) is approached by so many with such trepidation, and elevated by others to a status or "an art" (see various references to the term "honemeister"). Sharpening is an acquired skill, simple to learn, and easy to correct. A knife can only be sharpened so much. Once it's sharpened - that is it - it's sharpened. Like any other manual skill it takes time and patience - but keep in mind that its not a race. Its not about how you "rate yourself" because how I or anyone else rate themselves is meaningless. Its about how well the knife performs once sharpened. and even then, it is not so much about sharpness, ones cutting skills or "knife skills" as they are sometime referred to come heavily into play - a different skill altogether. Not to mention what one can or cannot do in terms of cooking with his or her cutting skills. And that greatly depends on the cutting surface, the freshness of the ingredients, and a host of other parameters that have nothing to do with sharpening a knife. I rate myself 10/10 on the Tsuriru scale - but it's a very subjective and sliding scale :)

I appreciate you more zen response. I figure if I want to improve, I need to know where I am skill wise and know where I can be. I don’t know if any local fellow knifenuts. I have been shipping friends blades around the country and learning that way.

If you figure a fix for this please let me know. I thin as I sharpen and use my dammy blades less than I'd like for this very reason.

Maybe one way to go about it is to only thin with a fine stone (or even medium-fine natural stone like Aizu), but do it more often. That will save you the coarse scratches from coarse stones if you thin less frequently. So while you will not have a polished blade, you would have a knife that would look acceptable.

If you figure a fix for this please let me know. I thin as I sharpen and use my dammy blades less than I'd like for this very reason.

Thin as usual in your whole progression, but take it higher in grit as in 6-8k at the minimum (jnat preferably) and then finger stones if you really want that final finishes. Truly doesn't take that long if you're taking your blade that high anyway.

Get lost in the stone...It is fun. Muddy stones and kasumi finish. Yep, much more enjoyable than cutting up a carrot. If it is but a means to an end to some, I get that but to me the sharpening itself is the real hobby. :) However, I agree and don't particularly care how I stack up to others as I sharpen for myself.

Sharpening the very edge is one thing...thinning a funky geometry is a while different level of skill

And sharpening or maintaining your knife is not art. It’s a skill just like a mechanic on a car. As long as it runs well and gets you from A to B you did a good job.

Here's how I look at it. Yesterday, news broke that a team of scientists have identified a fossilized jawbone fragment recovered from a cave in northern Israel as belonging to an anatomically modern human who migrated out of Africa somewhere in the range of 200,000 years ago - far earlier than previously thought. The cave also contained numerous examples of stone tools.

My working assumption is that those tools were made with far more skill than I can muster when sharpening my knives. So, in essence, I would say that I am worse than a caveman :)

How does one benchmark their own skills?

To rate is relative. One must rate it against something.
Rate it against how the dull crap knife cut before? Well I'd say I would rate myself extremely high since the knife is 500% better than before. So 500/100.
Rate it against 100 random people on the street? I'd say my skills are likely better than all of them, making me the top 1%. So 1/100.
Rate it against unknown random people who spend hours day on a niche Jknife enthusiast forum? Probably the bottom 10%. So 10/100.
Now let's average those out ... hold on... *grabs abacus* ... subract that... square root... hold the 7... OK GOT IT. My skill is 5.11

Seriously though, here is my theory. Every time you get rabbit holed into a new hobby, you try to get better by yourself, which tends to plateau quickly. Then you want to find out more to get better. To find out more you reach out to others, by which you surround yourself by people that know more and are better than you, which does 2 things:
1) you realise how little you know and how long you have to go.
2) you realise how bad you are and how many more people are better than you.

This crash of reality triggers 2 distinct waves of negative energy that needs to be overcome by your willingness to push through, or you drop it. You come to the realisation that if you want to get better on issue No 1, you have to educate yourself and gain knowledge. On issue No 2, you need to practice (properly) and gain skill. Or you could stagnate where you are if you are happy with your skill. Or you could walk away from it all. You then have an existential crisis in which you find yourself at a crossroad once you reach that stage and have to ask yourself: Is this worth it? Do I have time to invest in this? Am I interested/motivated enough to continue?

When I first joined this forum and I started to understand how complex sharpening was, I was deterred by the new lingo, types of stones, stone names, forum etiquette, knife types, symmetry, asymmetry, double bevel, single bevel, wide bevel, polishing, thinning, finger stones (whatever the hell those are), wet/dry sandpaper, rehandles, knife balance, smiths, metals, honyaki, techniques... My first instinct was "well **** this". I walked away and just tried to keep getting my crappy henckles sharper on my 2 stones. I eventually got enough info on here to get to a point where I understood they need to meet at an apex and understand what a burr was... then my knifes were finally "sharp". And honestly I haven't really moved on from there that much. I decided that I don't have enough time in my life to gain all the knowledge I need to have and practice to make my knives 20% sharper. So I made a decision to hone the current skills that I have and will not be going deeper down this rabbit hole. I have to many other hobbies to get better at in my short time on this planet.

I will end this long rant for anyone who is still reading this with the work of Phychologist Noel Burch who describes the 4 stages of competence:
Unconscious incompetence
The individual does not understand or know how to do something and does not necessarily recognize the deficit. They may deny the usefulness of the skill. The individual must recognize their own incompetence, and the value of the new skill, before moving on to the next stage. The length of time an individual spends in this stage depends on the strength of the stimulus to learn which is what I was saying above.
Conscious incompetence
Though the individual does not understand or know how to do something, they recognize the deficit, as well as the value of a new skill in addressing the deficit. The making of mistakes can be integral to the learning process at this stage.
Conscious competence
The individual understands or knows how to do something. However, demonstrating the skill or knowledge requires concentration. It may be broken down into steps, and there is heavy conscious involvement in executing the new skill.
Unconscious competence
The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it has become "second nature" and can be performed easily. As a result, the skill can be performed while executing another task. The individual may be able to teach it to others, depending upon how and when it was learned.

Perhaps a question would be, what stage of competence are you at right now?

And sharpening or maintaining your knife is not art. It’s a skill just like a mechanic on a car. As long as it runs well and gets you from A to B you did a good job.

However, if it does not pass inspection you have still failed or so local regulations state. :curse:

I test the sharpness on cute baby cats. Can the knife cut them in half? Is the fresh blood flooding enough for the incantations? If it passes those tests, it is hell sharp.

I test the sharpness on cute baby cats. Can the knife cut them in half? Is the fresh blood flooding enough for the incantations? If it passes those tests, it is hell sharp.

Then you need to live out here in farm country where people think it is a dumping ground for unwanted cats, by the dozen. :bigeek:

I have no idea how good i am as a sharpener, but I know what not to do at least, and I manage to get a good edge very fast on my knives. What more is needed here really?
I have a black belt in anglegrinding though and can perform a regular bypass operation using one.

Here's how I look at it. Yesterday, news broke that a team of scientists have identified a fossilized jawbone fragment recovered from a cave in northern Israel as belonging to an anatomically modern human who migrated out of Africa somewhere in the range of 200,000 years ago - far earlier than previously thought. The cave also contained numerous examples of stone tools.

How's the edge retention on those stone tools? 😁

Back