Chicago

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
I've got a weekend in Chicago planned next week. Anyone have good suggestions for places to eat? One night is going to be devoted to hopleaf, where I will probably drink myself silly, but the other night is still up in the air. I'm staying in the Mag Mile/Near North area.

I'm more interested in a good food with a casual vibe sort of place than I am a $100+ tasting menu sort of place.

Chicago is an eater's paradise! How adventurous are you? There are several classic joints that can be visited like Lou Malnati's for deep dish pizza, Al's #1 for an Italian beef sandwich. Chicago has amazing Mexican food, first and foremost is probably Rick Bayless's Frontera Grill. Are you into heavy metal? There is a really cool burger joint called Kuma's Corner where the burgers are named for Metal bands. On the south side, there is Lem's BBQ for rib tips (a Chicago specialty) and Izola's for soul food. BTW, the south side isn't as dangerous as it used to be, just use your common sense and go during the day or cab it at night. If you only have one night, though, I would probably recommend Frontera Grill, it's a great restaurant but not pretentious at all.

I thought of Frontera, but they suggest booking reservations 8-10 weeks out for weekends, and this is a particularly busy one. I doubt I could get a table.

I've been thinking about The Purple Pig, but again I'm not sure I could get a table. It's all walk-ins, but I don't have the patience to wait in line forever and ever.

it never hurts to call and see... i really wanted to go when i was there, so i went to frontera at 5pm and waited for 30 minutes for a table... not too bad

Hi

I live in Chicago and would absolutely endorse Frontera, the hype is valid. some of the other suggestions are also good but places like Gibsons, Rosebuds and Portillos while good food are a dime a dozen in Chicago.

If you want a great casual dining experince with unbelieveable food the best place at the moment is the Girl and the goat, its owned by Stephanie Izard who won a season of top chef, right next door is the Haymarket brewery which has a fantastic selection of hop style beer, i personally hate hoppy beer but i know lots of people who have eaten at places like Alinea, spiaggio, etc and they all rated girl and goat as their favourite. Now i will state that it is a not a tasting menu type of place you can expect to drop $80 a head for dinner. You will not get a reservation before March, the trick is to show up at 4.00 when they open and sit at the bar, if you do go try the ribs, small portion but i guarantee you will end up sucking them like a lolipop.

If you want any more info or places to check out please PM me.

Alan

My favorites are:

* Purple Pig (though I do find it inconsistent but convenient)
* Publican (or if not Blackbird or Avec)
* What is that new Achatz place? I haven't been there.
* Spaiggia cafe (not the restaurant, less formal). Just do lunch or dinner and go to the restaurant bar and shoot grappa.
* I loved Frontera. +1
* I also love Alinea. Just call and ask them what is open. I called and got in three weeks ahead of time. It depends upon the day.
* Catch Patricia Barber at the Green Mill and just drink.

That is just off the top of my head.

k.

You need to be a president or pope to get into next

L20, i beleive the chef just left so im not really sure

another place getting good reviews is Q, gourmet BBQ

Youve also got Vermillion if u like indian, Graham elliot if you like wacky ( although ive heard bad things )

For breakfast there is a place near white sox park called nana which is fantastic, get the duck fat gravy and biscuits !!!

Hi

I live in Chicago and would absolutely endorse Frontera, the hype is valid. some of the other suggestions are also good but places like Gibsons, Rosebuds and Portillos while good food are a dime a dozen in Chicago.

OK, sorry.

-AJ

Thanks for the tips guys. I should probably have mentioned that I'm going to Italy for two weeks (life is good!) a week after Chicago, so I'm probably going to skip Italian for the time being.

I'll have to look them over and discuss with the GF. Publican looks really interesting, but the GF can't do pork or shellfish, so that might be a hard sell. Maybe I can tactically break up with her for two hours so I can go eat some pig.

AJ

Sorry, my fault.

Didnt mean to be disrespectful, we are spoilt in Chicago, i beleive its the best food city in the US, im sure that NY gets some love for that title also but where i think Chicago wins out is the huge range of food and even bigger number of options for each of those foods. Rosebuds is a great place to eat but what I menat to say without being so cocky was that there are at least 50 great steakhouses in downtown chicago and there is not that much difference betweem them.

Alan

Laurent Gras, the chef when L2O got three Michelin stars, left immediately thereafter which sucks. The food looked so amazing when he was there.

Latest posts

Back