Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: infernos rehandling thread.

I dig that red liner frame handle on the right. One of my favorite combos, red with a light colored wood

Tyvärr jag härdar bara mitt eget. Du kan skicka till si knives eller mix. Tror båda samlar och skickar till någon härdverkstad i skåne.

Quote Originally Posted by RDalman View Post
    Tyvärr jag härdar bara mitt eget. Du kan skicka till si knives eller mix. Tror båda samlar och skickar till någon härdverkstad i skåne.
    I see. Funderar på en evenheat härdugn. eller helt custom med en halvcylinder från kanthal. Funderar på att göra ett par svärd i framtiden så en lång halvcylinder från kanthal blir nog billigast. då.
    Har noterat att alla evenheat kör 240v och ska man ha en lång rackare så blir det typ 7kw från 1fas. det kan man nästan inte plocka ut nånstans. 3 fas no problem men 1fas 7kw??

Vad rekommenderar du för härdugn? eller rättare sagt vad har du testat som varit bra?
    If you have even an introductory knowledge of metallurgy it is like watching Cheech and Chong try to teach Quantum Physics. - Cliff Stamp

Quote Originally Posted by Danzo View Post
    I dig that red liner frame handle on the right. One of my favorite combos, red with a light colored wood
    I think its buckeye whatever wood. and its a factory knife. its a hiro/shiki LE santoku. and this one was truly limited it seems since now it another wood for this series. Workmanship on the handle and fit/finish is about 9/10 on these. Could have done it better myself but wouldnt have been worth it kinda.
    If you have even an introductory knowledge of metallurgy it is like watching Cheech and Chong try to teach Quantum Physics. - Cliff Stamp

ok some updates.
    I'm oiling my 2 newest builds. the olive/ziricote one is the jck blue moon you saw above. this will be my "abuser"
    And the bocote/masur-turkish walnut bolster is a jck r2 vortex damascus santoku, its gonna be veeery pretty. and its very delicate and thin. completely intolerant of any abuse I'd say. Maybe I'll cut some fat polymers with it to judge tearout as a stress test.

then we have my workshoop, almost all of it. yeah the stanley vise is my workshop. and then a few files, some needle files, 2 japanese saws, some rasps, a cordless drill. and a few clamps. but thats it. pretty much.
    this handle will go on the plain jane mac i showed earlier. Its cryoed aus8 so it will probably be my best performing steel.

I like the olive and ziricote handle, very creative! That ziricote turned super dark. Was it a darker part of the block you showed earlier? What kind of finish did you use?

I want to like the masur birch and bocote handle but that combination isn't eye pleasing to me. Butt props to you for doing what you like!

Quote Originally Posted by milkbaby View Post
    I like the olive and ziricote handle, very creative! That ziricote turned super dark. Was it a darker part of the block you showed earlier? What kind of finish did you use?

I want to like the masur birch and bocote handle but that combination isn't eye pleasing to me. Butt props to you for doing what you like!
    The ziricote piece was basically from a non figured part, not the gray/black transition zone. It was for a cheap blade so I figured I'll save the good part but now in retrospect I should have used a part that was 2 colored.

I use Liberon pure tung oil for my handles. first diluted with acetone then on its own. I do at least 10 coats. neither ziricote not olive sucks up oil very well though. So next time I'll use these I will leach out the oils with brake clean.
    The bocote sucks up at about 3-4/10 and the masur and turkish walnut gobbles up pretty much anything I can put on there, the masur is "dry" 30 minutes after application lol. I guess it likes the oil.

I'm beginning to finish these 2 knives. Just have to demask them.

Also the masur/bocote one has a flip side thats maybe better looking, since the bocote and masur on that side is different.

moar

ziricote at +3ev to see any action at all.

ok now I have demasked the new ones. I will have these for the rest of my life, like 70 years or so, so its important I dont cut corners, not too may at least.

the jck vortex damascus turned out brutal hell, its one bad muddafukkah in real life. hehe

Also got some wood on the new mac. sawed it with my japanese saws. we'll se how it turns out. only had a short piece of turkish walnuut left so it had to be modeled of the blue moon handle.
    thats how it is sometimes. turkish walnut turns out really nice though when finished. better than pretty much all burls imo.

The reason you dont see any activity in the walnut bolster (its full of it) is because of something called dynamic range. first the camera has limited dynamic range 14 bits/ev or so, then the monitor has a DR of about 8-9 bit or so, and a jpeg doesnt have 14 bit at all its like 9 iirc. so I have to choose if I want to show the grain of the wood (light colored) or the activity of the walnut. a hbuman eye has a DR of about 20bits/ev fyi. thats how it works. its all about priorities.