Quantcast
Hiromoto AS clad removal

Thread: Hiromoto AS clad removal

Hiromoto AS clad removal

Some time ago the Hiromoto AS was quiet popular amongst users in knife forums. After some time of using and sharpening, I have reached the point where I had to remove some of the soft stainless clad to free the core steel. I have no power tools and did it with my stones. It's a lot of work and I have to clean very thorougly the stones afterwards and in between because the soft steel seems to fill the stones and make them ineffective. Any suggestions?

what kind of stones? some stones load more quickly on stainless (especially soft stainless) than others

Sounds like an Atoma #140 diamond plate would be just the ticket. Or you could just use very coarse-grit sandpaper and dispose of it as you go.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    what kind of stones? some stones load more quickly on stainless (especially soft stainless) than others
    Chosera 400 and 800...

those dont tend to clog that much... but it depends on how they were soaked before use. Do you use them as splash and go (as some people do), or do you give them a 5-10 minute soak before use? I've seen use as splash and go cause clogging before.

Will give it a try. Thanks, JBroida!

the short soak should also improve the feel of the stone and the cutting speed... when you dry it out, be careful to keep it in a well ventilated area out of direct sunlight or extreme heat... those hairline cracks that can develop drive me crazy

Use the included Nagura to create a slurry. Improves the cutting speed significantly in my experience.

its 600 grit, so yeah... but thats not really what that stone is intended for (straight from my conversations with naniwa)... its for cleaning up the stone surface and removing the deep scratches from flattening plates to increase surface are contact when sharpening