Oiling down for the change of seasons

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DwarvenChef

Reaction score
Every change of season I rub down all my carbon knives with camilia oil. As the weather turns colder in the Apt and the AC gets turned into the Heater being on, I get out the oil and rub everything. Just to prevent issues and inspect knives that may not have seen use since last oiling.

This event always gets the blood pumping as I remember why I bought these knives and experiences I've had with them. Which reminds me of an experience I just had with a Dexter bone cleaver... more on that later... Oiling the Konusuki usuba and looking at the fantastic KU pattern that draws me into the need for another one of their blades. The Hiromoto AS Wa-suji with Stefan handle in presentation grade ironwood burrle, the crown of my collection. Next was the Hiromoto AS Wa gyuto that has been calling for another handle and having another one made just like the wa-suji handle has been pressing on my mind rather strongly lol... (help me)...
IMG_0197.jpg

Some of us have very strong connections to our knives, or just a few that go beyond just a tool. Those knives that fit you so well that you have no inclination to ever get rid of them. Most of my knives fit this catigory, and I dread the day my daughter moves out as I told her she could take her favorite knives with her... except MY favorites :p but I don't think she is that interested in my knives, she's quite pleased with the one Butch made her.

Thanks for listening, I just had to write (type) something about todays wipe down. The bug has hit me hard as usual durring these events :whistling:

I was just thinking I ought to do a little oiling. My main board needs a good over-oiling, too.

Yep, that's on my list also, boards plus de-rusting (don't ask...) and oiling some knives.

Stefan

Funny. This subject line would sound rather odd / imply perhaps a treatment for dry skin or maybe a pagan ritual if not written in the context of this forum.
Then again, maybe it is a bit of a pagan ritual... the seasonal offering of oil and love to the blade gods.

Weird timing. I was planning on a full oil, board wax treatment on my two boards and Carter funayuki handle. I'm thinking I should have time this weekend. I should hit the stones with my suji and parers while I'm at it....

jsut oiled my boards and need to oil the knives (wait there SS so not a worrie)

Weird timing. I was planning on a full oil, board wax treatment on my two boards and Carter funayuki handle. I'm thinking I should have time this weekend. I should hit the stones with my suji and parers while I'm at it....

Same here... hmmm.

Come to think of it, I'm due for an oil change on my car as well. Thanks guys!

Don't forget to oil the bottom of your boards from time to time too!!:yammer:

I oil the bottom of the board every other time, mostly because I forget to do it once and a while.

Back