Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Kippington workhorse honyaki pass around

Me. Iíll be the last person because the workhorse is mine anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Just a reminder for funds to get the laser back to the down under. I donít need them yet, but if anyone wants to get it out of the way now itís fine.
    What's the amount to chip in, Craig?

Keep what you love and get rid of what you donít.

Just $5 is cool. I can make that work.

Thanks for payment tkern.

Thanks for the valuable feedback everyone, I'll start working on a grind between the two.
    I'll be honest, combining the two extremes will end up looking like a very normal grind at the choil, but the taper I like to put into the length of my knives should make the performance interesting.

Hey, I guess I can call it the work pony haha!
    There's a bird on your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippington View Post
    Thanks for the valuable feedback everyone, I'll start working on a grind between the two.
    I'll be honest, combining the two extremes will end up looking like a very normal grind at the choil, but the taper I like to put into the length of my knives should make the performance interesting.

Hey, I guess I can call it the work pony haha!
    Funny you should mention that, as my two favorite gyutos have very different grinds from heel to tip. Which is to be expected to some degree with any good gyuto of course. My billipp took a bit to get used to until I realized it was meant to be a true all purpose. The grind is much thicker towards the heel for heavy tasks, and becomes more complex as it progresses. My Toyama has shades of this concept as well, which is why I preferred my 270 over my 240 as I felt it allowed the grind to really do its thing. Hopefully that makes some kind of sense?
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Thanks for payment pen tiger

Thanks for payment josh. China your inbox is full.

Clear
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

i got the kippies in and have some first impressions. i have finally found a laser i actually like, this one cuts amazing and the highly polished jnat edge that was put on it by another member here is actually quite fitting for this knife even though i normally not a fan of refined edges.

workhorse on the other hand i felt was not cutting so well, after processing some veggies i got agitated and instead took to the stones to see how kippington's heat treatment of W2 steel is compared to my mario (it's a toss up, feedback wise kip feels better on lower grit and mario feels better on higher grit. kip was easier to sharpen, i am guessing is slightly lower hrc. upon laying the blade face flat i immediately realized this thing needed some geometry adjustment. perhaps this is why few before me preferred the laser? so i gave it a 30minute thinning session on chosera 400 and light polish on aizu. cuts as i expected it to now, smooth and sexy.

i have not touched the laser on stones yet however will be interesting to see how 1095 pushed to its potential will feel. already love how it feels going through food, got nice spring to it.

i also wanted to chime in on the handles. they are good! they look boring and kinda weird without a ferrule, but it is very comfortable and the wood feels great. the laser has bevels more rounded which i like but is skinnier, i prefer the fatter one on workhorse.

i know this much; out of all the knives coming out of OZ, i only want a KIPPINGTON!! you hear that kip? hurry up and get your shop back running. i guarantee you you'll have orders waiting. just make a bunch of each laser/pony/horse