D. Martell Next 3 Martell Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Within the next week the following will be listed for sale at Martell Knives....

1. 240mm Yo Gyuto (Professional) - CPM154 - AZ Ironwood, Blond Buffalo bolster, with Copper & G10 spacers - $599

2. 225 Wa Gyuto (Standard) - O1 - Octagonal in "[FONT=&amp]Burnt & Stained" Maple with Spalted Sycamore ferrule & endcap - $485

3. 180mm Wa Nakiri (Standard) - O1 - Octagonal in [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Spalted Maple Burl with African Blackwood ferrule - $475[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Are the grinds different between professional and standard. Or is it handles and f&f?

Standard - Through the use of commonly found woods, synthetics, & simple handle construction we're able to offer the same high quality knife as always, but at a less expensive price point.

Professional - Top fit 'n finish, custom grinds & profiles, combined with multi-piece handles made from the finest selection of woods available. This is our most popular line of knives.

Summit - Climbing to the highest level possible while pushing the boundaries of what we're capable of achieving. Top notch fit & finish - The best components available - Metal bolsters, etc

The grinds are all the same between the lines unless someone requests something different. The fit 'n finish will more or less be very close if not the same. It's mostly the cost of the handle materials and/or extra labor that differentiates them. It's possible that over time I will distinguish between the lines in other ways but that's it for now.

Thanks for asking!

BTW, I LOVE the handle on the 225mm gyuto, it's in my top 10 favorites. I don't know if anyone else will like it as much though, we'll have to wait and see. :O

These are really sweet deals! For anyone on the fence, take a look at how many knives Dave sells vs how many show up on b/s/t. These are keepers.

Within the next week the following will be listed for sale at Martell Knives....

1. 240mm Yo Gyuto - O1 - AZ Ironwood, Blond Buffalo bolster, with Copper & G10 spacers - $589

2. 250 Wa Gyuto - CPM154 - Octagonal in [FONT=&amp]Poly Acrylic; copper swirl pattern with black sparkle ferrule & end cap[/FONT] - $495

3. 240mm Wa Gyuto - CPM154 - Octagonal in [FONT=&amp]Poly Acrylic; bronze swirl pattern with black sparkle ferrule & end cap[/FONT] - $485

The poly handled CPM154 gyutos will be done first, Mon or Tues.

I think these handles are awesome. I don't care for working with this stuff but I LOVE the results! :wink:

My thoughts are I think the yo gyoto and poly handle make a better match than wa gyuto with poly. I don't know where that opinion really comes from and I'm a newb but thats how I see it.

My thoughts are I think the yo gyoto and poly handle make a better match than wa gyuto with poly. I don't know where that opinion really comes from and I'm a newb but thats how I see it.

Hey your opinion counts too! :)

I can tell you why I didn't go yo with the poly material and that's because I could envision a nightmare in shaping the curves using belts. I'm fearful of the heat and the belt edges cutting in. For wa handles I use a disc grinder for the rough shaping and then finish by hand which is perfect for this stuff. I do want to see what it'd look like in a yo version though, I just don't want to risk wasting my time on it right now.

Should have just labelled them as Konosuke. People would stumble over eachother to pay double what you're asking for it... ;)

Back