Cubed chicken breast is disgusting...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it just me or do others find chicken breast cubed and cooked disgusting? The texture and the 90 angles of the cubes feel so gross in the mouth. This Indian place I just had lunch made Takiki Marsala with cubed chicken breast. I just couldn't swallow it, had to use the napkin. Rant over

dang,,i think i have to agree. i never eat it if i see it cubed.

i could get over it; if on top of a salad. it's got enough problems already. problem #1, it's a salad.

Cubed raw and then cooked, or cooked and then cubed?

I hate chicken breast either way. If it wasn't for beef tenderloin, I would call it the most overrated piece of meat out there.

One of my local Indian places does the same thing. I stick with the goat and vegetarian dishes there instead.

Same here...love goat but the boniness drives me nuts so if I do meat I usually just get lamb.

Exactly why we slice here instead of cube. Cubing is great for portion control and labor cost but it looks to touched.

But, but... what about Gong Bao (Kung Pao) Chicken?

Not the Chinese-American restaurant style with big chicken pieces in blobs of batter, but the version in Fuschia Dunlop's books and Kenji's "Realest-Deal" version at the Food Lab, based on her version? The idea is for every ingredient to be the same consistent bite size, so you're cutting chicken to be not much bigger than the peanuts in the dish. Cubes, basically. Maybe it's not as noticeable when mixed with other same-size ingredients.

In another context, like just cubed chicken on salad, yeah, I'd rather have it sliced for a decent mouthful.

if it tastes good and the texture isnt bad, i dont care what shape my food that i am eating is in..

I am with you.

I am surprised that Mucho is finding that to be an issue in gravy style Inidan dish. When you put the chicken in your mouth together with all the gravy - for me usually it is yummy! Perhaps the gravy was bad ;)

But I do admit that if you just cook chicken breast in boiling water they taste bad...

It is the low surface area to volume ratio… cube shapes are efficient for making boxes, but as @cheflivengood said slice is nice… nowhere for that flavour to hide lol

cubes.

i picture bargain meat that is cut from a giant sausage thing. will i eat it? yea, i guess..but it just doesn't excite the vision part of dining out.

But, but... what about Gong Bao (Kung Pao) Chicken?

Not the Chinese-American restaurant style with big chicken pieces in blobs of batter, but the version in Fuschia Dunlop's books and Kenji's "Realest-Deal" version at the Food Lab, based on her version? The idea is for every ingredient to be the same consistent bite size, so you're cutting chicken to be not much bigger than the peanuts in the dish. Cubes, basically. Maybe it's not as noticeable when mixed with other same-size ingredients.

In another context, like just cubed chicken on salad, yeah, I'd rather have it sliced for a decent mouthful.

I always use chicken thigh meat for gong bao (indeed Fuchsia's book is great) much more taste than breast

Back