Quantcast
210 suji or 210 gyuto?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 210 suji or 210 gyuto?

210 suji or 210 gyuto?

I know there's a ton about 210 sujis out there, but I'm not sure I ever saw a direct comparison of these two knives.

A little background...As I try out more knives, I'm coming to the realization that my 150mm petty is now an annoying size as a utility knife. There's a smaller size I prefer for peeling and tiny tasks (80mm petty). And I feel like there's a larger size I'd prefer for other quick tasks when I don't have a ton of space or don't want to pull out a larger gyuto for just one potato. I kind of have had the same realization with 240 gyutos. They're kind of a middle size for me and I'd rather have something a bit longer for when I'm actually doing a lot of work and something a bit shorter for when I'm doing something really small/quick.

All this has left me curious about the 210mm size. That way, I could have 80mm, 210mm, and 270mm (and maybe 150mm). So the question is, what are the advantages of a 210 suji over a 210 gyuto? They're often the same price, so some part of me feels like getting more steel for my money, but I figured I'd ask you guys who have played with them before.

When you are reaching for a mid size knife, are you using it just on the board, or will you be using it in hand as well? Basically, will you need/prefer knuckle clearance on a knife you use for these cutting tasks? If so, go gyuto. The suji would be a little more versatile, can be used in hand or can be used on the board by using the tip or positioning your hand over open space instead of the cutting surface.

But the real answer of course is....you need both.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Gotta step in

150/180 gyuto is the future, just not everyone is aware yet, pettys are good but if you add some depth to them then they become far more useful

Thanks for the response, Johnny.

I guess it's tough to say how I'd use it without having tried one. I do find that I prefer the smaller 80mm knife for off the board peeling type tasks. I do however like to use utility knives for trimming meat and small deboning tasks. All this would seem to favor the suji, but knuckle clearance is still somewhat of a concern for me. When using a 210 suji on the board, have you found knuckle clearance to be an annoying thing to work around? I like simplicity (partly because I always sell things to buy new things), but in this case, it's a tough call to pick between the two.

As for 180 gyuto...I've been curious about those, too. I don't think it would be quite enough length for my taste, though.

I think you need a 210 suji with a bit of an up swept handle, kinda like the "Alton's Angle" Shuns, or Pierre's Pettysuki.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

210 Kochi gyuto

I just got this one to try out that very question. And I came up with the usual answer... I need both As a home use knife this has been great but it doesn't do a few jobs that I think a suji would do better. So I'm planning a 210 or 180 suji/petty after the new year.

So, DC, what was it for you that the 210 gyuto couldn't do? We might have already gone over it, but I'm just curious.

There are times when a thinner blade profile just seems to feel better for me. Cutting a sandwich in half, boning out a chicken, all these jobs work just fine with both knives but I like the feel of the narrow profile at times. Funny as I feel fine boning a chicken with a cleaver just as well, but the gyuto seems off just a touch. Would the avg user notice or care... probably not, but I notice and for me that all that matters really

Taller blade = more drag and less point. I use my 210 suji for in-hand peeling, mostly and on the board meat cleaning type work. For most other jobs, I tend to use 240-260 gyuto.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Taller blade = more drag and less point. I use my 210 suji for in-hand peeling, mostly and on the board meat cleaning type work. For most other jobs, I tend to use 240-260 gyuto.
    ^ +1

+ Reply to Thread