recommend me a chef knife? newbie here

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian1

Reaction score
Looking to get my first somewhat decent chef knife. Not looking to spend more than 50-70$ as I plan to learn how to sharpen knives with it as well. I have chosera 1k and naniw ss 3k/5k (even 8k/12k and few jnat but I use those for Straight razor). I also need to pick up a sharpening steel rod but I guess any of those will do? With sharpening steel rod would I be able to get 2-3 months bewteen going to stone with normal around the house use? I have read normally knife can go 5-6 months depending on use but guessing that is just for the higher quality ones.

Danzo suggests the Gesshin stainless as cheaper ans better than misono, global, mac, masahiro, shun, fujiwara. Well, cant tell if its the cheapest, but it goes for 105usd.
For Japanese knives you dont want a rod.
if you want to learn how to sharpen, get the cheapest carbon knife, Fujiwara.
How frequently you will sharpen or touch up, depends on the edge that you wish to have

Like supersayan3 said honing rods don't mix that well with hard J-knives.

I'd save that money and put it towards the chef knife so you'll have more options.

Rods provide an emergency solution in a pro environment. Better use your finest stone for daily maintenance. Very light stropping and deburring is all you need.

Alright the is for suggestions will read some more and then make a decision. And instead of rod you are just suggesting I use finest stone for light touch up at the end of the day. Or would a paddled strop be good for deburring. My okudo suita I believe would be good for that although I like it as flat as I can (with straight razor I use this first to touch blade up then I go to either kiita or my tomae). If I need to use stone a lot I might just pick up a kitchen jnat later. Thanks for help and looks like I need to do a bit more reading. Although I am liking the fujiwara FKH.

What size are you looking for? It has a big impact on the price.

Size is not huge factor. Being I will practice sharpening knives I happy with any budget knife that has decent steel. Since I am not in huge rush I might post a WTB post for a knife and see if I can get anything. Is there a preferable size knife to learn how to sharpen and hone on?

Hi, suggest you fill out the which knife should I buy questionnaire as it will help us to help you. As to touchups you won't need them daily...

And welcome to the forum!

From the US
interested in chef knife - right handed
fine with western or Japanese handle
length of the blade I would say 6-9 inches
Not sure on what type of metal, preferably something easy to sharpen
absolute max budget is 100$

Will be for the house
Will be the first nice knife in the house
Looking for something that will come somewhat sharp (Will need benchmark for about how sharp I should get it when sharpened. Might be willing to have it professionally sharpened once if recommended)
Interested in learning how to sharpen knives using the knife I am selecting

Current sharpening products
worn DMT 325 plate
Chosera 1k
Naniwa SS 3k 5k 8k 12k
3 jnats: Nakayama Kiita (Finishing stone for straight razor/ very hard and fine/ my guess 5+), Oozuku tomae (From thejapanstone.com rated 5+++ hardness), and okudo suita (vendor says it was great for Kanna blades, I got it as pre-polisher for straight razor. Will probably use for practicing knife sharpening as finisher).
okudo pictures https://imgur.com/a/wbxm5
Other 2 jnats https://imgur.com/a/6qjrI

Would you guys suggest buying a new knife or would it be worth making a WTB post.

Except of the max of $100, the Gesshin Stainless Wa-Gyuto from Jon @ JKI sounds perfect. Very nice fit & finish, great value, comes with a Saya, and they'll do an initial sharpening for you.

The Gesshin Stainless (Yo-)Gyuto is a little less over your max. They will also do an initial sharpening for you. Danzo recently did a review:

I’m sure all of you get the same question from your family, friends, coworkers. You are in fact the ‘knife guy.’ “What knife should I get? It outta be stainless and I don’t want to spend more than $100 bucks.” ....

Maybe someone will think of something even a little cheaper and not bust your budget. Good luck.

With a knife that comes with initial sharpening I could probably go past budget some. As for steel I think I am leaning more towards a carbon steel instead of stainless. Will look at the ones you suggested more when I get home this evening and take a look though. I am probably going to make a WTB post later and after a few days get one of the suggestions from here if nothing comes from the WTB post.

Thanks for help guys I really appreciate it.

The Gesshin stainless comes highly regarded at KKF for a SS budget option. I never used one, but everything that's been said about it I'm sure it would serve you well.

Metalmaster has one Tanaka 210 VG10 nashiji gyuto left in stock, which is another great choice. For 95$ it's a heck of a knife and Tanaka knows his way around that steel. The F&F won't be nearly in the same league as the Gesshin, but the performance sure is there.

But you said you'd prefer carbon so MM has also the Tanaka KU 210 for 110$. regardless of the price that's some of the sweetest B2 steels around. MM Tanaka knives are a bit roughly finished and this won't be an exception. That's the price you pay (or rather don't pay) for such a sweet deal. You'll be hard pressed to find a better performing steel and knife for almost twice the price.

You won't be able to post in b/s/t for a while unless you become a supporting member but there are often some deals to be had (you can buy now). You've got the stones you'll need though you can proudly stop at about the 5k for a kitchen knife. With a cheap carbon J-knife you l likely won't even need a touch up more than every couple of weeks at most.

Cheapest good quality steel imo would be the 210 Tanaka blue 2 damascus from MetalMaster. Handle won't be great and you'll have to smooth some sharp edges but it's a great cutter made of quality steel with very good heat treatment.

Cheapest good quality steel imo would be the 210 Tanaka blue 2 damascus from MetalMaster. Handle won't be great and you'll have to smooth some sharp edges but it's a great cutter made of quality steel with very good heat treatment.

+1.

Perhaps best value in Japanese knives available. Everyone should give this a go.

+1.

Perhaps best value in Japanese knives available. Everyone should give this a go.

Before I order anything would this be the blade you guys are talking about?
http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product/703

Looks like a cool blade to me.

I also liked this one from their site.
http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product/26

Although one is yasuki blue steel and the other is Hitachi blue steel is there a difference between these two? If both of these had the same quality of steel I might get smaller one but will have to think about it for a day or two.

I was referring to this one:

http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product/34

Nothing wrong with the first one you linked but imo this one has a better grind. The second one you linked is the petty version...also a fine knife but not the right size for what you are looking for...it's more like a large paring knife in size. Japanese knives tend to feel smaller in use than others because they are so nimble in hand. I've owned quite a few Tanakas and personally wouldn't get anything smaller than a 240 but size is personal...still wouldn't recommend less than 210 in this style though.

I was referring to this one:

http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product/34

Nothing wrong with the first one you linked but imo this one has a better grind. The second one you linked is the petty version...also a fine knife but not the right size for what you are looking for...it's more like a large paring knife in size. Japanese knives tend to feel smaller in use than others because they are so nimble in hand. I've owned quite a few Tanakas and personally wouldn't get anything smaller than a 240 but size is personal...still wouldn't recommend less than 210 in this style though.

ah didn't see that one, I really like it. I think I will order it tomorrow thanks for the help!

Tanaka is an excellent blade for both the value/performance and they will always get recommended here. You’ll probably have to sand the spine and choil area smooth but that ain’t a big deal. That okudo suita should be perfect to keep your edge alive without having to drop down low, unless there’s chipping. I use one among others for touch ups. I love the edge it produces, so nice and quick!

One thing that might make the buying process easier is think about what you cut the most. Produce or meat?
Since this is for the home, are you going to do some stop and go cooking ? If so stainless may be a better option, unless youbare wiping dry consistently.
Im was exactly where youbare about 3 months ago, completely agree with previous statements about size, I got a 135 petty and it feels very small almost like a paring, then I got a 210 carbon gyutou and I wish I had bought 240 maybe even 270

The dammy Tanaka is just a tad bit better cutter then the KU IMO, but the difference is only marginal. I do like the dammy more and I would've suggested it, but thought it be pushing the budget too far.

Anyway both have the same sublime B2 core steel that makes sharpening a joy. My absolute favourite carbon is Tanaka B2. Really love that stuff.

Got the Tanaka damascus blue steel#2 210mm gyuto in the mail thanks for the recommendations guys.

Please let me know what you think, which handle did you get? I'm looking at the 240 myself

was just Japanese HOU wood + resin collar which I am guessing is standard/average handle. I am excited to see what sort of finish my okudo leaves on it, will wait a bit though before I attempt to put a different finish on it.

Is that Tanaka ambidextrous? And, would using a ceramic rod be good for it?

Is that Tanaka ambidextrous? And, would using a ceramic rod be good for it?

Probably 70/30 or so right hand biased...no to the ceramic rod imo but I guess if you really knew what you were doing and in a pro kitchen it could make sense.

Got the blade in the mail and just a few questions. For stropping I plan on using edge trailing strokes on hard okudo. Whenever blade starts getting tad dull can I just use Okudo with few edge leading strokes to touch it back up? Also I notice the bevel on it is small (not sure of angle) ((blade is anaka damascus blue steel#2 210mm gyuto) when it comes time for me to sharpen it (guessing a few months from now) should I create larger bevel and go for like 15 degree angle or close like I see others do? Or should I keep the bevel the same and follow the sharpening guides. Thanks for input and happy with the knife

Christian1, not knowing your skill level and experience sharpening knives, I'd say when times come for a full sharpening session, use the sharpie trick to see where you are removing steel. If you've found that you like the cutting abilities of the knife right now, you can choose to keep the bevel angle relatively the same. If you find it a little too brittle or a little too thick you can always change angles as you see fit. It's up to you. Don't get bogged down with precise angle numbers, do what seems natural to you and your knife. That said, a Tanaka Blue2 blade is able to hold quite an acute bevel so I'd personally keep the edge geometry close to what it came with out the box. Hope this helps.

Back