40$ Deba?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronsgibson

Reaction score
Well a while back I post if anyone had ever used the deba that is sold by the wok shop. No one had and many suggested at 40$ what was there really be out. So I recently remembered that thread and I went a head and picked one up. Final price was 45$ (for a lefty) and it got to my house about 2 days later (not bad)

Pardon the lack of pictures, if you guys want to see what it looks like please let me know. But any how, I got it and it was your typical plastic package, (kind of like the kind you'll find at an Asian Market) the handle was your standard wooden "D" and they said that the blade was made of carbon. I had asked if they knew what kind but they didn't know. So when I got it and gave it the once over wasn't horrible for the price. Edge wasn't great (wasn't it expecting it) so took it and went about sharpening it: 400 gesshin (WAY over kill as the steel was soft) then king 1.2 , aoto and finally Jyunsyouhonyama (the latter of the two very much unnecessary just wanted to see how well this thing took an edge) and finished it up with the strops (once again not really needed) The result was a very sharp edge easily push cutting paper and could run through a tomato. Haven't had a shot to try it out on meat yet.

So, is it the best? Nope. Would it be a good knife to use to learn how to sharpen single bevels? Sure. For the price you really get what you pay for.

Sharpening soft mystery steel, especially with single bevels, does not really prepare you for harder, higher performance steels.

:2cents:

haha nope, but for learning bevel control and the basics it isn't horrible.

Back