• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Vintage Kyoto Natural Stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklip13

Reaction score
Im cutting down to just 2 natural stones in my life and selling all the rest.
These are all stones I bought in Kyoto, however #3 is a Mikawa Nagura not actually from Kyoto Prefecture.
I have used and tested all of these stones, if you have any questions about their performance ask away.
#1 Atagoyama Sunashi Suita 204x73x39mm ($495)
#2 Nakayama Nashiji Kiita 206x74x24mm ($480)
#3 Mikawa Botan Nagura 236x77x26mm ($325)
#4 Ohira Purple Suita 161x75x18mm ($225)
5_stones1.jpg

5stones2.jpg

This has been my favorite stone for Honyaki polishing, it has a very slippery feel that works really well when you dont have the cussion of soft cladding to help bring up slurry. This is just about as fine of a stone as I've used, my polish insn't perfect but you can see in many areas it has no visible scratch pattern at all. Atagoyama is known for thick, pure stones, this one is a pretty good example of that. Suita from Atagoyama are quite uncommon, even more so is a Sunashi (with no open Su). This stone has an old, but still clear, Atagoyama stamp on the side.
5stones2.5.jpg

5stones3.jpg

Up next is one I really dont want to part with, my Nakayama Nashiji Kiita. This stone has very little "personality" cuts extremely fast, easy to use and polishes very finely. The only thing I don't like about this stone is having to sell it. I can comfortably go from a 1k king to this stone and get a scratch free finish in about 10 minutes, it really works super fast.
5stones4.jpg

This huge Mikawa nagura is an agressive pre-finisher. I loves sharpening Honekiri on this stone because of the super toothy edges it would produce and the size of course. I recommend soaking this stone for 5 minutes before use. Don't do this to your Honyama stones, but for Mikawa Nagura its no problem and helps a lot with polishing.
5stones5.jpg

Lastly is an Ohira Ucigumori look-alike, its not from the same layer as Ucigumori but looks and performs pretty comparably. It is a very user-friendly stone, developing slurry quickly and wearing down comparatively slowly. No toxic inclusions in this stone, just a missing top right corner unfortunately. This one comes straight from one of the oldest Ohira dealers in Kyoto Ishihara Toishi.

All of the prices are before shipping from Kyoto and the Paypal 5%, at the end of the month I'll take a trip back to the US and Canada though so i may be able to save you some shipping cost that way if you're in North America

Thanks for checking them out
Jon

Ugh you're killing me... Those look stellar.

OMG, god gracious why now. 1 and 2 are off the charts!

All of them are class. Sorry you have to let them go Jon.

Nakayama and Atagoyama are SPF, Mikawa Botan Nagura and Ohira Suita are still for sale

Back