Different kind of steel used in J-knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hentaides

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Want to to get more knowledge regarding different steel.

I am aware of the Honyaki, Blue 1 and 2 , white 1 and 2.

But i want to know more regarding those steels like R2? What does it mean? Masamoto KS <-- i see this KS alot. is it a brand? steel? VG-10 and all.

can someone let me know please or point me in the right direction or even a previous thread?

Honyaki is not a steel, it's a differential heat treatment process (the spine is covered in clay so it stays softer than the rest of the knife during quenching). KS is just the name of a knife line. For info on various steel alloys, the zknives knife steel compositions app is just fine.

There is a lot of information about steel on Cktg in shop by steel section

Jon at JKI has a nice video talking about the most common types of japanese kitchen knife steels:

[video=youtube;jkLsLst8qMc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkLsLst8qMc[/video]

@Drosophil probably worth mentioning that not everything marketed as Honyaki is of the diff quenched type you describe.

@StonedEdge all (or almost all?) stainless Honyaki - though it seems to have gained acceptance as a term for "stainless high-quality monosteel at a temper meant for performance rather than robustness"

Usually monosteel at higher HRC than a "conservative" knifemaker would do it at though, it seems...

Hi guys.

Want to to get more knowledge regarding different steel.

I am aware of the Honyaki, Blue 1 and 2 , white 1 and 2.

But i want to know more regarding those steels like R2? What does it mean? Masamoto KS <-- i see this KS alot. is it a brand? steel? VG-10 and all.

can someone let me know please or point me in the right direction or even a previous thread?
KK means good quality of the steel and KS means very good quality

Back