What Do You Cook After Sharpening?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xenif

Reaction score
My wife looked at her bento and said "Sharpened you knives again eh?"

Roasted veggies...potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, onions and garlic

... to use up the remaining sharpness on anything you want to sharpen soon anyway but which still has sharpness left: Thai curry from freshly made paste (a lot of mincing or brunoising, including some nasty ingredients, to get all the stuff mortar ready).

Often pork belly. Because it will motivate me to sharpen a not-sharp-enough knife.

With the 165mm or 190mm petty knives, it's trimming out a pork shoulder or lamb shoulder in chunks for grinding. Or chicken breast cutlets, for further slicing in a stir fry. I love it when a knife glides through protein like it isn't there.

For the nakiri, the fun project right after sharpening is ultra-thin ribbons of green onion and red chili for toppings on Chinese dishes.

i kinda just move on with my life. sharpening a knife (now that i can) is just an activity i have to do. there is no parade or champagne corks popping once i get it done.

that's like going on a special car drive after i get the oil changed. well, i do go to the dirty oil recycling place..and that is pretty special.

@Paraffin Rawit-style chili? How thin can you manage? Always suspect the damn things are kevlar coated....

I kind of just cook whatever i was going to cook, but i do like if peppers are involved or a stir fry.

althogh I did not do any sharpening I'm in the middle of prepping some sichuan food, wok seared pak choi with Ginger, home made fried and steamed dumplings with ginger and scallion to go with an aged vinegar, garlic and soy dip, dried tofu sticks with peanut sesame and coriander with a sauce of sesame paste, soy sauce and chili oil w crispy chili and some weet and sour crushed and salted cucumber on the side.

lots of chopping and dicing to test drive the shig gyoto and honoura nakiri :) wow, what a knives, straight out of the box.

althogh I did not do any sharpening I'm in the middle of prepping some sichuan food, wok seared pak choi with Ginger, home made fried and steamed dumplings with ginger and scallion to go with an aged vinegar, garlic and soy dip, dried tofu sticks with peanut sesame and coriander with a sauce of sesame paste, soy sauce and chili oil w crispy chili and some weet and sour crushed and salted cucumber on the side.

lots of chopping and dicing to test drive the shig gyoto and honoura nakiri :) wow, what a knives, straight out of the box.

Flavors. U gu Kook.

"sauce of sesame paste, soy sauce and chili oil w crispy chili" ... so, like the sauce that goes on dan dan noodles?

Uhh wait... you more or less HAVE a version of dan dan noodles if you use the leftover dumpling filling, leftover sauce, leftover cooked pak choi and just add noodles...

as with most chinese dishes it's a general cooking method and/or sauce with different ingredients and there are far too many variations to ever list them in a book. If you don't have it already I highly recommend Fuchia Dunlops 'every grain of rice'

My fav version of dan dan noodles actually has no pork in it at all, and yes all my jewish and muslim friends can eat it too.

Back