Why Japanese Sharpeners Don't Place Stone Level to the Ground?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tler

Reaction score
Can someone shed some light as to why many Japanese Knife Sharpeners keep their stones at an angle when sharpening instead of level/parallel to the ground?

js0712_3.jpg

Because it's a more natural motion when you're low to the ground and leaning over. I do this as well with knives and chisels.

Jon, doesn’t the slurry on natural stones tend to flow (get pushed) off the stone too fast? I use this technique too, but the angle is rather small.

nah... just use less water and the mud stays on. if you're really worried about it, you can always sharpen flat, but i havent had an issue with this ever personally.

I place the shorter end away from me. So, the tallest part gets most of the work, i.c. the fat heel.

I do the same and particularly with naturals but only because it makes me feel more comfortable. Why that is, I haven't got a clue. :lol2:

You can do whatever you like but what I’m suggesting is in essence the same thing as the OP is describing. Nothing wrong with wearing down the taller side of the stone either.

I'm not sure how having the taller end away from you would emulate going down hill. Seems to me that would be like having the stone tilted up rather than down. Maybe I am thinking backwards, idk.

I do the same and particularly with naturals but only because it makes me feel more comfortable. Why that is, I haven't got a clue. :lol2:
I was incomplete. Not only the tallest part next to me, but putting something under the end of the stone to have it higher as described by the OP. So overcompensating for uneven wear.

Back