Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Global G2 for $50

Quote Originally Posted by StonedEdge View Post
    Nowhere near as painful as Tojiro VG10 tho!!
    And I thought the Tojiro VG-10 wasn't that bad. Maybe I should get a Global?

The church is near but the road is icy. The pub is far but I will walk carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeByA1000Cuts View Post
    Might there be intent to using a steel that keeps a tough burr ... on a knife line which also kind of includes some imperfect sharpening implements?
    I don't think the accumulation of chrome carbides is the result of some 1982 conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    And I thought the Tojiro VG-10 wasn't that bad. Maybe I should get a Global?
    Let's just say it will teach you about porper burr removal...if you keep at it long enough to ever get the burr off. Decent knife line, just make sure you're prepared mentally, physically and spiritually (also check with your doctor to see if your heart is healthy enough) to be at it for a while.

@StonedEdge At least you won't have to sharpen the Tojiro VG10 again soon once you manage to
    "All right. So whatdya do with it?" - "Whatdya mean 'Whatdya do with it?" - "Self defense? Mayhem? Shish kebab?"

Quote Originally Posted by StonedEdge View Post
    Let's just say it will teach you about porper burr removal...if you keep at it long enough to ever get the burr off. Decent knife line, just make sure you're prepared mentally, physically and spiritually (also check with your doctor to see if your heart is healthy enough) to be at it for a while.
    So, you're recommending the Global I take it?
    The church is near but the road is icy. The pub is far but I will walk carefully.

I had a global gyuto and liked it. Not enough to keep it forever. But when sharp it's a decent knife with a blade profile I quite like. Edge retention is better with DP's VG10, but ease of sharpening I find it a little bit better with the Global.

Any carbon or semi-stainless will be a much greater joy to sharpen ultimately tho

I had a G-2 and it is probably the only knife I sometimes regret to have given away. Was my only stainless, and as with StonedEdge, the profile suited me well. Once thinned, I put a micro-bevel on it with a 2k and deburred on a 3k Chosera. Quite stable since.

Thank you all for the recommendation. I have until tomorrow rod decide. I have the Hampton forge for my wife, and the prospect of getting a Munetoshi or Wakui/Tanaka...so thinking about that...

I personally am a huge fan of the Wakui white steel kasumi or hairline gyutos. But apparently the Tanaka will stay feeling sharp for a bit longer. Either way you cannot go wrong with either of those.