Global G2 for $50

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abepaniagua

Reaction score
A lady I know is selling me her Global G2 for $50. It is not chipped or damaged. Right now I got a Tojiro DP santoku, and an old generic gyuto. I was also thinking on buying a Tanaka, Munetoshi or Gesshin in the next few months.

Would this Global be a good to have knife?

I'd recommend putting the 50 toward one of the other knives mentioned.

I've had a global for YEARS, and my opinion is it's a good beater knife. I use it for things I don't want to put my good knives through. If you have an old generic gyuto, skip it. Buy something else. Soft steel, and the shape of the heel is so annoying. It gets caught on your towel when you're in a hurry. Your Tojiro is a better steel. Get one of the others you mentioned

Its a pretty good knife for $50 dollars,
but the question is...do you really
need a $50 dollar knife?

I thought about a beater gyuto for my wife but I guess I already have that with the Hampton forge.

If you want to spend the money for a stainless gyuoto of that size, you may do so. It's a good knife. It will need some thinning and a full sharpening. I would use 400, 800 and 3k stones.

I did put it through a lot of abuse in the sushi bar. I used to break down salmon with it because it was the only thing I had and I still use it to break down yellowtail because I like the tip. It served me well but it was nothing special, a step up from my Wusthofs for sure. It's being retired this week. It was a good knife to practice sharpening on.

Might there be intent to using a steel that keeps a tough burr ... on a knife line which also kind of includes some imperfect sharpening implements?

And I thought the Tojiro VG-10 wasn't that bad. Maybe I should get a Global? :)
Let's just say it will teach you about porper burr removal...if you keep at it long enough to ever get the burr off. Decent knife line, just make sure you're prepared mentally, physically and spiritually (also check with your doctor to see if your heart is healthy enough) to be at it for a while.

@StonedEdge At least you won't have to sharpen the Tojiro VG10 again soon once you manage to :)

Let's just say it will teach you about porper burr removal...if you keep at it long enough to ever get the burr off. Decent knife line, just make sure you're prepared mentally, physically and spiritually (also check with your doctor to see if your heart is healthy enough) to be at it for a while.

So, you're recommending the Global I take it? ;)

I had a global gyuto and liked it. Not enough to keep it forever. But when sharp it's a decent knife with a blade profile I quite like. Edge retention is better with DP's VG10, but ease of sharpening I find it a little bit better with the Global.

Any carbon or semi-stainless will be a much greater joy to sharpen ultimately tho

I had a G-2 and it is probably the only knife I sometimes regret to have given away. Was my only stainless, and as with StonedEdge, the profile suited me well. Once thinned, I put a micro-bevel on it with a 2k and deburred on a 3k Chosera. Quite stable since.

Thank you all for the recommendation. I have until tomorrow rod decide. I have the Hampton forge for my wife, and the prospect of getting a Munetoshi or Wakui/Tanaka...so thinking about that...

I personally am a huge fan of the Wakui white steel kasumi or hairline gyutos. But apparently the Tanaka will stay feeling sharp for a bit longer. Either way you cannot go wrong with either of those.

Back