Trimming Meat

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanRogerPierce

Reaction score
First of all, I am not quite sure if trimming meat is the correct term for what I am asking. Please excuse, but english is not my native language. What I mean is, for example, to cut the silver skin of pork tenderloan or cut out sinews of a piece of meat.

So my question is, which style of knife do you prefer for this particular job and which length?

My main knife for this is a deboning knife with a pointy tip - which is not flexible. When removing silverskin/tendon you start of with thin long slices (1-2 cm in width) and with time - when getting better - you can take bigger chunks/slices - almost the full width of the silverskin.

One important thing is that your knife should not be scary sharp - actually a little dull is the best. Then you won't slice thru the silverskin - you can glide along the skin easily with a long smooth stroke which gives the best result = smooth structure.

I use a 20 cm long and 1 cm high knive for this task and it does the job perfectly.

Hope this helps.

I use a Hankotsu, works very well. Sharp stiff point and nicely slides under the silver skin

i dont care for hankotsu or honesuki so i use a petty. i have used petty for everything from deboning chicken, trimming meat (like tenderloin, ribeye, strip) and along with a heavy duty cleaver and saw whole lamb and goat. petty is much more versatile than the traditional boning knife or the japanese equivalent (honesuki and hankotsu).

the rest is just personal preference. i used to use a 150mm but now i go for 210mm

Mainly honesuki. Sometimes hankotsu or sometimes gokujo. All 150mm.

Back